Monday, December 17, 2007

The mean old bus driver was right!

Reality check time.  My junior high group this year is a group of perfectly normal teens.  Mostly skater (sk8r!!) boy types who on occasion will bring their skateboards on the bus and have learned to hand them over to me for safe keeping or face a long cold walk home.  Some wear tight ripped jeans (rumor has it they shop in the girl's section), have long hair with bangs, mostly harmless lads who just wanna skate and have fun.  Last week I observed (bus driver lingo) a few of them on a pond near the bus stop.  I scolded them and told them that they had no idea how thick the ice was yet.  And I did not want to fish them out before my morning coffee.

Flash to this past Friday evening a 19 year old fell through some ice in a town near mine.  The current dragged him to the middle of the pond trapping him...his body was not found for two hours.  He was gone.

Flash to this morning, of course me being a mother (nag, "I told you so") I asked if said skater boy had heard the news.  He said yes...thought for a moment and said, "yeah but that ice was deep, our pond is only 2 feet deep!"  WOW!  the young!

So cute yet so stupid!

Also, the bus Gods have been pleased with me, I no longer am doing a alternative school route, I now have an extra 2 hours break in the afternoon.  Yippeee!~

 

*** we are driving to Florida, my hubby used to drive over the road and we once made it to Los Angeles in 36 hours, we will be leaving Christmas evening & heading home on January 4th***

I am open to any J-land meetings!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was on your route mean on bus driver. NOT. I mean on the way to Florida. Have fun, Paula

Anonymous said...

Rose, have fun in Florida, I'll miss you, Love Ya Lisa XO

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing! That's the same general dates the others will be here! We'll plan something definite in the next few days. Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

Praying for a great trip and a wonderful Christmas for you!!  So scary what these kids think they can do these days!!  I think my Nick thinks he is invincible sometimes and it so frightens me.  A good healthy respect for safety rules is just using good common sense.  So glad these kids have someone like you to look out for them.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Rose!!  I hear we may be meeting ya!  Great!  
Sharon

Anonymous said...

i hope you have a safe and blessed trip there.....that is very sad about the 19yr old losing his life.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

Lets hope the all too wise boy dosen't test out his theory ha!  Have a wonderful time in FL!

Kara

Anonymous said...

Kids!!! Wonder if we were ever that bad, Rose? LOL
Bet you're counting days till you leave for Florida. Will pray for safe trip.
Take care of yourself but have lots of FUN.
Love you much,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

I wish we could have met up in Florida, but it wasn't to be this year! Maybe next time?

xoxo