Friday, April 18, 2008

Shaky wake up!

My husband works overnights.  My daughter Liz and stepson Jim live with us.  All the bedrooms are upstairs, mine in the path of the stairs so I hear all the wanderings of the night.  Often I awake to the sounds of the night.  Around 4:30 this morning I wake up to the pulls on my dresser rattling.  First I thought it was my husband stopping by in the semi from work, no, then a train?...no, my bed shakes, my ears start ringing....hmmm, then nothing.  I hear a door outside slam, neighbors...I note the time go back to sleep.  At 6:00 I am up, I must of felt an earthquake, put on the news, yep!  Sure enough!  Down state in southern Illinois there is a fault line, way down deep so when it shakes we really only feel it, rarely any damage.  Even in the nearby towns minor stuff.  Not like the California quakes, this one was a 5.2.

Such excitement for a Friday.

Otherwise we are all well.  The weather has finally become spring like, with it's winds and mild temperatures of nearly 70.  I've been walking a lot.  Yesterday after seeing the gas prices at $3.55, I walked to work.  This weekend the Huffy is coming down and checked over for leaky tires.  I am not giving the oil companies any more than I have to.  Going to bike the mile to work.

Last weekend the kids were here again as I had Friday off.  We went to a nearby Park that also has a small zoo attached.  Dakota got to pet a snake, or nake has he calls them.  3 year old talk is so cute.   The zoo had cougars, crocs, turtles and peacocks.  The kids mostly loved the play ground, school in this town was in so we had the place to ourselves.

Dakota, Jacob and Dayton.

This weekend is yard work.  Sunday promises to be sunny and I have loads to catch up on.  The buds are just now appearing.  Hopefully mother nature will let us enjoy a little of spring before the hot and humid summer appears!

 

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such cutie pie kiddos! :)
My neighbor Mosie said she felt a tremor (here in MO) around 3:am, I was asleep. LOL
Have a good wkend.
Hugs,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

GLAD YOU ARE OK :)

Anonymous said...

Our gasoline is $3.49 right now. It changes fast and furious. Earthquakes must be kind of scary. There was one a few counties over recently. In fact at one of the towns we visited recently. Paula

Anonymous said...

Rose, wow what a way to wake up, glad you are alright, Love and Hugs Lisa XO

Anonymous said...

Wow! That would be strange. Since my hubby retired he is helping the gas companies wanting to go all the time. :( Wishing you a great weekend too. Janie

Anonymous said...

I just read another J-land friend that felt the quake! Glad everything is ok. Enjoy a sunny spring weekend -- but don't blink or it will be time for us to go back to work!
Hugs, Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are ok. Earthquakes are scary. It's great that your weather is
so nice,hope it continues awhile.The boys are growing so fast and are still adorable.
The gas in San Bernardino for regular is $ 3.87 .It seems like everything is costing
a lot more.
Hope you have a great weekend.
Hugs
Mickie

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you realized SOMETHING was happening but went back to sleep.  I live around people who hear a piece of paper drop & they are outside their house with a flashlight.  I wouldn't be doing that unless the house shook down.
~Mary

Anonymous said...

i was at work and all of a sudden there was a sound on the roof like a plane was crashing. We all said "WTH". It was that earth quake. STRANGE!
Dayton is getting SOOOOOOOOOO big, OMG. The boys are so cute. I can't imagine you having to ride your bike to work.
LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOO

Anonymous said...

Isn't spring wonderful?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I think it's great you can ride your bike to work. I think the gas prices are so outrageous ! It's up to 3.71 here on Long Island.
How scary you woke up to a quake ! Glad everyone is ok.
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rose...

I enjoyed catching up with all that has happened in your world over the past month.  Your little earthquake was a pretty good one by California standards.  It would have knocked stuff of shelves for sure.

Your boys are adorable!  Can't get over how grown up they are getting.

Take care,

Kathy