Sunday, November 5, 2006

warm up...

Liz told me Friday night that she had no hours scheduled at work for this upcoming week.  I thought that was rather odd as she has worked every weekend and was only able to get off if she asked or gave her hours away.  I picked her up last night and she was fuming.  Seems when she clocked in one of the managers wanted to know why she was there, that she had quit!  Liz said "huh?!"  Seem the manager got her confused with two different employees a girl named Elizabeth who was on a week vacation and a girl whose last named started with an H like Liz's who had quit.  Whoa...so the boss says, " so liz you can work tomorrow 9 to 4.  Liz says, "no...I am here tonight until 12:30 am". The manager overruled and Liz went to work this morning.  This is all great experience for my kid.  If she gets tired of working retail she will work harder in school next year when she goes to College.  She is going to a nearby Junior college.  I learned that expensive lesson with her older brothers that not all children are ready to be shipped off to a four year school.  Liz is an average student, but hates math, loves english.  She would love to teach, so here you go kid, work hard and get a good education.  For some of us retail sucks, people are slobs and rude.  She told me today that she worked the kids department and kids were throwing clothes everywhere, or one mom was smacking her kid.  But with everything in life the kid gets to learn a whole lot about the working world.

Dayton & Dakota...Kota always has a ouchy somewhere on his head!

Friday morning I was dozing.  The grandkids had been up late and Dakota is a very restless sleeper.  It takes forever for the kid to give it up and then he moans & rolls around until he goes into a deep sleep.  While I was dozing I heard he was awake & I kept saying, "Koda what are you doing?"  he'd say, "I night night".  So I left him be night night.  Soon Liz comes flying in the room telling me I needed to call my husband as "im" (either my son Tim orMark's son Jim) had been in an accident.  The cell phone line was bad so she couldn't tell which kid.  I ran to the phone.  It was my stepson Jim, his pick up truck  had been hit by a car that had ran a red light.  All the brothers work together so Matt came to the scene.  I called the hospital as Mark was very upset & at work driving his dump truck.  By this time Jim was released his mom came and got him,as I had the boys.  His truck is totaled.  But he is ok.  Geez, it's hard to let your kids grow up and be adults...they still are my heart even if he's my stepson, I've been his mom for 12 years.  But hopefully this will wake this kid up.  He's been burning the candle at both ends.  Last winter his Christmas present was me paying his electric bill.  He makes great pay as a heavy machine operator, but has no skills in budgeting.  The brother that came to the scene, Matt, has a home, a wife and a savings account.  I think he is going to try and convince his brother to wake up and take responsibility for his life.  It's not all about partying.  Jim's nearly 27...

:::SIGH:::  Sometimes you just gotta step back and trust the powers that be...we all have our own time and season to learn what life is about.  But it's hard to stand back and watch....heck I am not that good at it yet either!

Jacob working....

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, the lessons life teaches...if only we'd learn them the first or second time they came around to teach us.  LOL  Those that do are so lucky.  
Hugs,  Kathy

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to stand back sometimes, and just watch as life throws are children curve balls.  It's hard to not want to try and catch that ball for them, but we can't.  We have to let them work out life's challanges themselves.

They will always be our babie's, Rose.  No matter how old they get!

My thoughts and prayers are with Jim.  I'm so glad that he is okay, and nothing was hurt, but the car.  Thank God for that!

Love and hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Glad Jim is okay! Seems the more kids we have the more of life's lessons there are to be learned! Thanks for sharing more photos of those beautiful grandbabies :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness he's OK!!!  My oldest just turned 18 and I am so not good at the whole "letting them grow up" thing.  Sure, I had to give up some authority, she's away at college now and on her own...but I HATE it!!! (lol)

You know, my mom is weird.  When we got married, she basically said her job was done and now we were our husband's responsibility.  I will NEVER be like that.  My kids will be my kids FOREVER.  Will I let them grow up and go their own way and do their own thing and become responsible adults?  Absolutely.  Will I ever STOP being their mom???  NO FREAKING WAY!!!! (LOL)

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I am glad he was OK - I hope his brother can get him on a better budget and plan for his life.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I night night.....aaawwwwwww... I miss having babies.
Its hard to learn to budget, he'll get it soon (hopefully).
I'm glad he's ok though.
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

no one ever told me that having kids was going to break your heart and cause you anxiety for your whole life, LOL.   I thought at 18 they went off and lived happily ever after.
Dayton is getting SO big so fast!!
Retail does suck. I sure didnt want to do what i am doing when i was in high school.
LOVE YOU,lisa

Anonymous said...

This will be a good learning expriace for Liz for sure!  Some folks just take longer than others to learn about lifes priorities ;)  Hang in there Rose...

Kara

Anonymous said...

Your daughter has grown up via your journal entries, almost. She has learned a lot from YOU, no doubt. Love the pictures, hon. Aren't kids grand? Could use some prayer, hon, ok?
Love you
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry Rose!
It is hard being a Mom,Grandma  etc. My kids seem to come to me and not their Dad to share or ask for advice. Watching them learn is so hard sometimes.I am glad to hear that the store made a mistake ,thinking that your Liz quit and she is
still working.
Also I thank God that Jim is o.k. just sorry his truck is totaled. I love your Granson's eyes.
Love
Mickie