Saturday, August 9, 2008

Being responsible

I like boredom & most days I love routine.  My summers are usually not routine as school is out and what routes I do have are short and only 1/2 day.  I did take the whole school district's administration group to a farm to do some sort of bounding class.  I didn't know this when I bid on the trip, but it ended up being fun.  They only requested one bus, but needed two so a driver I like also went.  A couple of the Asst Principals that I know were on and they all wanted to make sure I picked their schools.   I laughed and felt quite important then I realized they just like because I am good with naughty kids..

I seem to be so good that mine and /or Mark's kids keep coming back here to live.  His boy's mother (as Mark refers to his ex),was here Friday trying to give us their youngest Dale, who is nearly 22.  Dale is a semester short of graduating high school, blown countless good jobs, and has been in jail because of his hot head.  Dale lived here for a year when he was 17, I am sure I have that time period written somewhere in my archives of the journal, but why relive the past?  

They want him to come here to escape his problems.  I saw my boy's father today at my oldest son's baseball game (he plays adult league bball) He and his wife want my son Eric to quit Menards (he's depressed and drinking too much) move back to Illinois, live with them and they'll pay his bills until he gets another job.  This didn't work when he went to college, it didn't work when he lived 1/2 hour from them and it would not work now.  I wonder if they'd take Dale instead?

Enable...refusing to let the kids go through their experiences just like we all did...

Growing up comes by experiencing life...the good the bad and the ugly...

Experience the great teacher...

I'd never cheat them out of experience ... it's hard though when you are a mother, hard to stand back and watch, wait...

Thank God I have Mrs H.  Working for her has been a gift from God...her 95 years on this earth has let me know I can get through anything...and she gives advice freely.

Just as quickly my kids childhood sped by this part will go by fast...I am going to enjoy now.

My kids around 1990

My children now...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Good with naughty kids. lol Yes it is hard to let go of kids. No it just seems like yesterday when they are little. Time does fly! Have a blessed week. Janie

Anonymous said...

I think you are loved because you are who you are young lady. I once thought that when my kids grew up that life would be so different,it isn't and I don't know if it ever really will be. No matter how much we love our kids,grandkids etc. there
will always be times we hurt for them,but time does pass fast.
Have a good day tomorrow.
Hugs
Mickie

Anonymous said...

OH NO. Did i read that Eric is depressed and wants to quit? Goodness...the ex is bringing a grown kid over and trying to convince you all to take him when he won't help himself? What are you gonna do?
i could write every day about the crazy stuff that i hear and see that is going on with family and friends who have young adult kids who are so screwed up. Most of the parents were the ones i wrote about that made those precious kids feel "entitled". BS. Of course, who am i to judge. I just do not know any answers.

My dad would have kicked my ass to the moon if i acted like these kids.
YOU are a wise mom and a good person so i always look to you to have the right answer. I pray all these kids do the right thing and you have a happy late summer.
MUCH LOVE ALWAYS.

Anonymous said...

Vegas mail is coming for you, Love Lisa

Anonymous said...

Silly kids......it's almost time to get back in the school routine.  Sigh...where does the summer go?

Sharon

Anonymous said...

The kids look about the same, LMAO!

You are so wise, Rose! I like your idea of sending the one child to live with the other parent who wants the other child....lol!

Anonymous said...

You are so right about allowing our kids to learn from their mistakes and pay consequences for bad choices.  As much as we want to cushion their falls, it does them no service at all.
You're a great mom and grandma!
Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

"Everything is going to be all right" Right Rose? Thank God for your strength and great attitude! Hugs, Martha :-)