Saturday, August 23, 2008

let the school year begin...

Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience."
– Victoria Holt

 

The beginning of the school year is Wednesday.  For those of us in education it started roughly last week.  Meetings, route bidding, ID badge pictures, more meetings, whining, b*tching, and moaning...oh did I say that??!  I for one try very hard not to do the last three, ok, some whining...BUT for me I thank my lucky stars every day for my job.  It has a retirement, great insurance, many many days off, even weeks off.  They even figure out our pay so we get a pay check for the breaks for when the schools have off...

I was quite miffed by the reaction of some of my co-workers when they learned that some of us have to drive shuttle buses to the meetings that the whole district have to attend on Monday.  The meeting usually last an hour, tops.  We will be paid for the whole day, 6 hours.  Not only were they mad,   but some even refused to attend the manatory district wide meeting.  There will be probably 30 buses used to shuttle teachers from their various home schools to the larger high school for the meeting, this is to save parking, which is at a premium. 

AND the director had the nerve to start at the top of seniority to pick the drivers of these shuttles.  Good God how could he do such a thing???  Senior drivers should never be bothered to do such low some work.  I was just so excited to have so much seniority now that I got picked too.  Oh and we get paid for Tuesday which is a day off...and we do not even have to be at work!!

The attitude at work is really low, already..."be part of the solution ROSE" is my motto.

At least my routes look good.  I know the areas and I can usually tell how the kids will be.  I do have a high school route this year, haven't had one for at least 3 years. 

I never know how things will be until school starts...never can tell how the kids willbe, or worse the parents...

I did not pick an early childhood route, I do not want a monitor this year...I really want my job to my sane place this year, so I chose kindergartners to take to school and another one to take home.  I have seat belts,  these kids will be tied down, excited 5 year olds love to stand up.

My  life concerning my children is still up and down.  Dale, my stepson is still here, and a work in progress.  He still tries to BS my husband, but rarely does he get anything by me.  We are taking baby steps with him to help him learn some self discipline....he applied for some jobs last week, next getting his GED.  Actually, every day is a struggle to keep this guy from going back to his old ways, but he's 21, change is up to him.

Liz is signed up for junior college...she will work her job at Target during the day and go to school at night at a nearby hospital that houses classes for the college.    It's much closer than the college, a must for gas prices. I am overdue for a grand kids day, perhaps next week.

Last week I was so busy with extra work doing trips I though my head would spin...Tuesday I spent 8 hours at a golf course with 6 freshmen in a very upscale neighborhood.  I'll have to do an entry on that experience.

Until then...chin up, stay positive and always be grateful

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose you have such a good attitude. Will be interested in the entry about the golf trip. Wishing you the best school year you have ever had. Paula

Anonymous said...

if you have the time i wrote an entry a few weeks ago titled please read and i'd love to have you read it. If not, that is cool too.
In this economy i would laugh if those lazy and whiny people who refused to go on the shuttle buses got fired. I mean, come on. Do they think the world revolves around them? They should be damn grateful they are employed. I think you have the right attitude. I am glad you are satisfied with your route.....and i hope things turn around at home quickly.
XO

Anonymous said...

I always love your attitude Rose. I try to be the same way. Attitudes and morale at my school are horrible already too. I like your motto, think I'll borrow it. I'm already so tired of hearing the gossip and the "that's not my job" people. Why can't there just be good old team work and try to have fun while we work?
Have a great school year!! Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm very good saying about the facts of life. Best to look at life this way if at all possible. :-)

Sounds like a good job. lol I bet the parents can be worse than the kids. lol Good luck with step son. Yes they do have to make the choice themselves. Thanks for sharing. Yes, tommorw has got to get better. :-) Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

Rose, you are an example to many with your postive attitude, Love Lisa

Anonymous said...

You have it all together now, Rose! It's great to hear someone focusing on the positive!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

One must stay positive when reading your journal. You are a hard worker and
thank God for having work etc. You are always helping someone and you have a gentle and loving heart,yet know how to be firm when needed.
I wish you the very best year yet.
Love
MKickie

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how many people complain rather than be appreciative for what they have. If one has to work it helps to love one's job and you obviously do. The kids who ride your bus are blessed. Now regarding your stepson (smiling here), cause I've been there too. It can be quite frustrating, dealing with adult children. Dale may resent things now but once he gets on the right path I'm hoping he'll  appreciate and understand how blessed he is to have you in his corner, as well as his dad. It's so  good to hear that Liz is doing well. She's got lots of potential. Enjoy your  grandkids. We live near our youngest son's little girl now, who will turn three in January. We love  it..have missed being near little ones.
I am doing okay, so don't fret, hon. Hope to write you decent letter soon.
Much love,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Love that Victoria Holt quote!!  I am adopting it immediately.... a good outlook to have for sure!!!!  I know how much you must miss your grandchildren... I miss my little ones even while they are at school for a few hours per day.... love when they walk in the door.  Sounds like you are doing a wonderfu job at helping your stepson.... prayers that each day brings him closer to success in all his choices.  That is wonderful that you have a good route... hope the high schoolers are no trouble and that the parents are kind and the little ones stay in their seats and that all goes well.  May God's angels watch over all of you and keep you all each day and especially when driving the bus.
Lisa