Saturday, August 2, 2008

old friends and the future

Mark graduated high school in 1973.  I, in 1975.  He was the jock, football player, ran track, on homecoming and prom court...he also was lead in all the high school musicals.  Me I was a very quiet girl who was once a very chubby girl, I was in plays, but never the lead, of course I was at every sporting event, I was even a bat girl/stat girl for the boys baseball teams.  I was never on any court, never voted anything likely to exceed, but I did earn National Honor Society.  I was a good girl.   Most likely in school we never spoke a word to each other.  Now look at us...our kids brought us together, they played youth football, and even the youngest ones knew each other before Mark and I "admired each other from afar" that summer in 1994.  (EEK! the 90's they seem so far away!)  Finally, fate or me following him after a out of town football game...had us meet up at the small burger shop...he told me about his 5 kids and child support, that didn't scare me off.   we saw each other at football practice and made a date....6 months later marriage. 

The other day a girl who graduated with Mark sent him an email from classmates.com.  She saw that he was coming to the reunion next month and wished she could attend so they could catch up.  Wonder if she thinks he's single and they could have one of those kind of catch ups.  Too late I had one of those kind of catch ups with him!  Most likely it's innocent, but who knows.  I am not worried, but I do love to tease my husband.

An old friend of Mark's, whom Mark named Matthew (his middle son) after is in town from Montana.   He wants to get together, he's even attending the church that my stepson Matt goes to tomorrow.  He went to our school.  It's always nice to see people from his or my past, catch up, we have history, maybe not together history, but same school, same town, same upbringing history.  We've even created history. 

I've listened to many of my close people around me tell me how worried they are about the future, how they want to plan this plan that.  Life really isn'tabout the plan,  we can make plans, but we really never can plan the outcome.  Nor should we, because sometimes life has different ideas about our future.  I never try to outguess my future, after all if somebody had told me in high school how my life would be right now, I would have laughed in their face.  8 kids, married to Mark, 3 grand kids, driving a school bus....But now?  I'd never ever trade it for the plans I made for myself way back then!

Who knows what my future holds??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW,
You said it all ! I am so happy that you are so satisfied with your wonderful family
and with what life has brought to you.
You are a lovely person.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

Too funny! You sounded just like me in high school. I won the same award. lol Some women are really brassy these days! Ugh! She might be like the little cheerleader that came to mine... the most changed. Felt sorry for her. She had gained a lot of weight. She was very cute when young. She was nice to me so I liked her. The Good Lord takes care of our future if He is part of our life. Have a wonderful week. Janie

Anonymous said...

You have made a wonderful life with your husband and family.  You are truly blessed!!!
Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my journal AND leaving a comment!
I've added you to my alerts. I've kinda skimmed over most the entries on the main page but would like to go over more.
Rhianna