Sunday, August 31, 2008

a working holiday

Mark and I both work on the weekends.  He hauling mail from the postal centers, me working for Mrs. H.  Nobody wants to work on Labor Day so I will be there Monday morning.  No big thing.  Mrs. H's age and experiences fill a void in me...I have no mother, and my mother in law is thousands of miles away...Mrs. H lets me know that the road ahead is sometimes hard, but "stay true to yourself and you'll be ok, kid".  Working for her is not hard, sometimes mentally, but I am tolerant, I think being 50 brings a bit of wisdom in itself, life's problems aren't such a big deal anymore.  I have no room to complain about my aches and pains around her, I am still very young.

Some of my stepsons are still going through some major issues right now, some happy, some not so, even tragic, major life altering.  I am sad, but as with looking at my own bumpy past I realize things always work out, our experiences either define us & we grow or fade away into our own cave of depression.  Through divorce, alcoholism, moves and job changes everything works out one way or the other.  For me, I have to know when to step in and when to shut my mouth.  I was very disappointed to find out that I wasn't able to have my grandsons on Friday night as planned.  Things happened, others interfered and I was overlooked, not even notified until I called to see what was going on.  I was angry at first, blew up, vented, then I realized that this as always was the way things were done when there was a crisis with these guys...I looked back at our past and saw this...but things always, always swung back ... back to norm.  

Took a deep breath, called my son, had Liz call her boyfriend and we'll be having our own picnic Monday.

The new school year started fine, my routes are great, nice children and I only made 2 kids cry!

As for my golf story...I was all set to have a couple hour trip which lasted much longer.  The very small team of 6 freshman were bused to a golf outing in a very upscale subdivision.  Even though every male in my family plays golf I have no clue as to how it's played.  When I dropped the boys off at the clubhouse coach told me they'd be done in 4 hours, instead it was 7.  Fortunately for me I love to walk and had money for an ice tea, which I had to pay for at the bar...a bus driver in a bar !!  The neighborhood was lovely, at least 1/2 a million dollar homes set up in rows with garages and alley ways in the back.  They had their own little town square complete with a store, dry cleaner and fire truck!

Mostly I admired the landscaping.  Very lovely, and colorful, with perfectly bright green grass.  Being it was a new development most of trees were young and short.  A sure sign of  new.   Many of the homes had various types of fencing, arbors, patios/porches/decks.  The yards were too small for swimming pools, maybe I missed the clubhouse which contained the 'town' pool.  One family even got adventurous and had 4 large tomato plants growing out back. 

Mostly Hummers, BMW's and higher end cars parked in the driveways.   The streets didn't have normal 4 way stops they had the fancy European circular 5 way stops.  Thankfully with stop signs rather than yields...which are scary for a bus driver as no one wants to be the one to yield! 

I think money most buy whatever it wants as one area even had palm trees growing...from the ground, not in pots...unheard of in Illinois!

It was a nice place to visit, but there is no place like home!  We have trees taller than 10 foot high!    Maybe in 20 years I'll visit again and see how far they've come!

Until then I'll enjoy the rest of my weekend and you do the same!

 

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see why you'd not mind working for Mrs. H. When i was younger I loved working with the elderly (now I'm one. lol). I always learned something, always grew by spending time with them. Hope the stepsons work through their difficulties soon. I know, even though we realize things will get better, it is rough while waiting for them too. I am sorry you didn't get to have your grandchildren though. I don't play golf but love being out so never mind going along with those who want to play. I'm with you when it comes to home. ..there is no place like it.
**Mickie's surgery went well. She's doing okay." Thank you for prayers, hon.
Love you much,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/FROMBARBSSPIRITUALJOURNALS

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your own little picnic. As for us we'll probably just go feed the calves as usual. Paula

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didnt get to see your grand babies!  I hope you can see them again soon. Rose I sure hope everything will be OK with your family.  You seem to be carrying the weight of the world on your sholders at the moment.

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

how do these elite rich folks plan to keep the palm trees alive in 10 below zero weather? HMM.
I always gain knowledge from you..you ARE smart and wise beyond your years. I wish you coulda had the babies on Friday...i hate bitchy ex's....sorry that the step kids are having such problems.....life sure is 1)messy and 2) SCARY.
LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

Thought I could read etc. but can't yet.I will be back.Until then God bless you and your's.
Hugs
Mickie

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip for the golf outing.... sounds a lot like our neighborhood in Florida... I miss it sometimes but am so glad we didn't try to buy down there due to the cost factors.... I miss our Magnolia tree in the front yard and the new everything in the house.  Sorry you had to work Labor Day... I put in about an hour and a half myself making calls.... glad the bus route is going well.... thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement with regard to the custody thing.  Hope the picnic went well.... prayers for your stepsons.
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

LOL Sure you seem like a spring chicken to her. lol I think it does do a body good to be around older people. I am sure that she is sure glad to have you around. Very hard to keep the mouth shut, isn't it? One of the hardest things I have found to do. lol Too funny about making 2 kids cry. I bet they needed it. lol I agree with you... just give me my manufactured home and animals and 18 ac. lol Glad you had a good weekend even though you had to work. Way to go! Good attitude! Hugs, Janie

Anonymous said...

As always, you took some potentially unpleasant situations and made them good! I hope your weekend was awesome!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Rose, praying for your stepsons, you always inspire me !!!!!! Love Lisa