Saturday, April 21, 2007

finally sunny & spring

It's finally warm and sunny here in Illinois.  Looks like I will finally get some flowers on this lilac bush.  The leaves got nipped by the frost, but they will survive.

This little evergreen is our 'grandpa' tree (after Mark's dad, who died in 1998), Liz brought it home from school one year.  It started out as a stick.   Goes to show how hardy and persistent nature can be.  I have a cherry tree she got another year and it's over 10 feet tall.

I have followed Mother Natures lead and am crawling out of the long, and I mean long hibernation.  Feels great.

I have a trip this afternoon to a nearby school with a group of band kids.  There will be 3 other drivers so I will have company.

Our school district did not spend much time discussing the Virginia Tech shootings. 

It is concentrating on our teen alcohol crisis.  Guest speakers have been hired, articles written in newspapers all over the state.  Seems the shock of 5 teens needlessly dying in the middle of the night/early morning has brought to surface the ugly truth that kids today are out of control and paying a large price for our lack of responsibility to our young.   Of the four that died three had alcohol levels above the legal driving limit.  One .17...very high.

I have huge opinions on this subject having both been a troubled child/young adult who got my act together and raised 3 kids/5 stepkids.   But that is the past.  What I can do today as a person who is with children on a daily basis in my job is to keep my ears open, listen and direct.  Offer help and pray like crazy.

One can hope the rest of the community does the same.  After all as Hillary Clintons says, "It takes a Village"

I'll leave my opinion of her to myself!   Enjoy the day!

 

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose, glad you are getting some good weather, enjoy your weekend, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Seems like your area is doing what they can for the teen drinking problem and as you say we can all pray, pray, pray. Have a nice spring day. Paula

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose:  Glad spring has sprung in your neck of the woods!!!  It has been absolutley glorious here as well!  What is happening to our families and children in this country is a result of people not being engaged with their families and their priorities being on things instead of people.  I just wish everyone could see that true happiness comes from making good choices, living right, and being true to yourself and your family.  I hope the guest speakers will help make am impact.

Kara

Anonymous said...

YOU are a wise mom and would be an asset that kids should listen to. I listen to you. You have been there and dealt with so much. One of Megan's friends is almost suicidal.....Meg holds it all in and doesnt tell me and then tells me. SIGH.
I hope Spring IS here. Ohio has no greenery.
i love you
lj

Anonymous said...

Just popping in, Not getting your alerts ?! Grrr......
Love the lilac bush, my mom's favorite
I reset alerts AGAIN.
I'll pop in to see you if I dont get any.
hugs,
E.

Anonymous said...

Looks like we may have spring here, too, finally...a few leaf-buds are starting to pop.  The teen alcohol crisis is everywhere, but it has really been brought home in your community.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rose,
It is so beautiful there and the pictures are just beautiful. It is so sad that so many kids are troubled. I am so proud of you!
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

I already miss my lilacs! I hope you enjoy yours :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Yep, spring is here. I noticed how pretty IL was getting when we passed through there last week.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

With no disrespect meant for what happened at Virginia Tech, I think your school district has done the right thing.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard