Friday, February 1, 2008

snow day!!

A winter storm came through yesterday ... which means blowing snow, piling snow, too much snow equals SNOW DAY!

This week has had it all...50 degree temps followed by below zero temps, with 50 mile per hour winds, then clear and cold then yesterday snow. 

Mark's job, because he drives a semi has always revolved around weather.  In the dump truck/construction biz, whether he works/gets paid depends on good weather.  Now he works regularly (regular pay!).  He hauls mail from here to Indianapolis trades trailers with a driver from Atlanta and heads back home.  Total trip should take 9 hours.  Last night  he left late as the guy he meets here was late because of the weather.  He did fine but came home 5 hours later than usual.  Mark is used to driving in bad weather, he's been doing this for most of his life.  It's the other morons on the road who (and my own job included) scare the crap out of me.  He told me cars/vans/trucks would pass coming faster than safe and he'd pass them later...in the ditch.  At least he made it home safely!

After school was craziness trying to get kids home.  I was fine, as driving in snow in a bus is easier than a car.  But today's snow day was a welcome one.   Winter is rough in the midwest --- kids get cabin fever...me too!

This morning I was off, but I still had to get Liz to work.  Mark had my car so I had to take the pickup.  Driving a pick up in snow is an exciting adventure.  My driveway feeds into an alley.  The village plowed the alley, but blocked my driveway with a wall of snow.  I got the pick up out of the drive way fine, drove the kid to work fine, (only one lady tailgated, I had to move to the left lane to get rid of her), but getting back into my driveway required me to shovel my way back in.

 

my shoveling job...snow wasn't too heavy

Jim has been gone since yesterday plowing at O'Hare Airport.  Liz is working at Target her own hours, and subbing for someone else.  Her hours are cut to only one day a week anyway.  Working 7 am until close is good for her!

Mark's asleep, he works tonight and tomorrow night. 

I've been home alone all day!!! 

Until...my son Tim called.  He and his girlfriend are bring Chinese take out....and great ending to a wonderful day!

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool pictures - literally, Love and Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey your garbage can looks just like mine except your's is prettier with snow. I think I would freak out driving in snow. Glad you and your hubby takes it slow and easy and sensible. Paula

Anonymous said...

i hate snow! I hate this weather! Great pics.....i am so glad Mark has this job..good for you two.....i dont know how you two drive so calmly in that weather...i am always going TOO slow.
LOVE YOU
lisa

Anonymous said...

I remember once driving home from Chicago - a guy passed me in a little red sports car. A little while later, I passed him because he was getting a ticket. Later, he passed me again. A bit later, I passed him again because he got a second ticket! LMAO!

I am tired of winter and snow too - but you had a nice day and a wonderful end to it!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping me out with some stuff :-).
I took your advice(of course).
That is the thing about being a good driver, doesn't really change the situation too much if the other guy is a terrible driver.  Your snow is so pretty but I don't want it :-).
Chinese food, & hopefully, a little rest, much deserved. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

WOW you sure do have a lot of snow!!  So glad your husband got home safe and sound!!!  
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine that kind of weather! Hope you're having a nice weekend and here's to a good week ahead. Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, we had ours too. lol My husband can drive in it but I don't unless I have to. lol I agree some of the people on the road are insane! Wishing you a wonderful Sunday. Janie