Thursday, February 14, 2008

stop the madness...

Gunman Opens Fire on Illinois Campus

the day meant for love & hearts, one for me was one of upbeat phone calls from my son, telling me he is up for a job promotion, pretty sure he go the job...then the chilling phone call 2 hours later telling me that he was safe.  Safe?

Northern Illinois University

 
Information on the Shooting on the NIU Campus in DeKalb
Latest Information

6:50 p.m. CST, 2/14/08

At approximately 3 p.m. Thursday, February 14, 2008, a gunman,

carrying one shotgun and two handguns, opened fire in Cole Hall

on the campus of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb.

NIU Police officers were on the scene in less than two minutes

and the gunman was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound

a short time later. Police have not released the identity of the

gunman. At this time, there is no known motive.

Eighteen students were transported to Kishwaukee Community

Hospital in DeKalb.

Another press briefing will be held at 7:30 p.m. in the

Altgeld Hall Auditorium.

 

This is the very school he once attended, the college right nearby his apartment complex he shares with his buddies from high school, kids who attend that college.  It had been shot up by a crazy person.  An individual so sick and mad that he brought a gun to an assembly hall meant for learning and shot at least 18 students...news is that 5 are dead including him by his own hand.

Eric's friends are safe.  Liz is finding out via the Internet that her friends are ok too.

Eric's girlfriend from high school im'ed to let me know she was safe too. 

She had drove by the hall just as students were running for their lives.

But the rest, God help them.

Just a year ago Monday my town lost 5 high school kids to a drunk driver.  We mourned and feel their loss.  Now this.  NIU is 30 minutes from me, my son went to that school.  He lives in that town, he works in that town.  Now this.

God help us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww Rose that is so so sad, I heard about that tonight :( Love and Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I heard this on the news but had no idea it was so close to you. Its just beyond understanding. I feel for the families and for everyone. So sad, Paula

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH....I heard this on the news tonight and was horrified....and I don't even know anyone that goes there.  I cannot imagine what you and your kids...and their friends....are going through.  It's a scary, scary world we live in.  How very sad.

Glad everyone is OK.

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

thank you for your email!!!!!!!!!!!  My heart froze and i got a lump in my throat as soon as i heard about this. I now can not wait to see Meg tomorrow. I am so thankful all of your kids are safe and my heart is just BROKEN for the families affected by this tragedy. What the hell is wrong with people?
love you so much

lj

Anonymous said...

I was so sad to hear about this latest shooting. What are these people thinking? I am glad your family members and friends are safe! Life is getting very scary!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I can hardly believe what is happening.I thank God that your family and their
friends were not harmed in that terrible shooting etc. Your son must really be
scared. Words can not say how my heart hurts for everyone there. What can I
say,there are no words to express what I am feeling.
I hope you have a peaceful three days off.
Hugs
Mickie

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased your son was safe, as were many others. I'm deeply saddened over the 6 that were not, including the deranged culprit. He was not safe from his own demons. RIP. Thanks for your comments in my journal.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip/