Sunday, March 9, 2008

it's a strange life...

I have noticed over the years my life  has been effected by it's far share of death.  Of course there's plenty of life...kids born, marriages all that joy.  But here's another death item...

This young girl was my cousin Dawn Niles.  She was born deaf and when she was 15 she became pregnant by her 18 year old boyfriend.  She disappeared one day and was found stabbed 30 times in a forest preserve.  My father tells me her boyfriend was accused but his father got a lawyer and was never charged.  Her younger sister never gave up trying to get this guy.  It seems she talked to the right people and now the guy is in jail with a very large bond.  DNA is available now.  Now this poor girl can rest in peace.  It was very surreal for me to see my own family member on the front page of a Chicago Newspaper.

I have had way too much action in my life lately.  I have picked up some trips, and an extra day caring for Mrs. H.  She has been worried lately, afraid she will have to go into a nursing home.  I advised she take everything a day at a time...always has worked for me.

My husband got a horrible flu bug last weekend with a temperature that lasted for days.  He's still whining....I've been glad to be away and busy.

Jeremy and Tracey sold their home.  Slow work and expenses.  She is at her mom's small home with the boys.  Jeremy is here until he can find a house.  They are looking for a house near us.   That will be great....I love them kids.

Eric had a going away party Saturday night.  He will be going to Wisconsin on the 17thMenard's puts him up in a hotel for 2 weeks enough time to find an apartment.  While I was at his house I never realized just how close the NIU shooting site was from his apartment.  Just across a parking lot, while it was large it was still too close.  Liz and I looked at the site...it has a flowing river right in front of it, made it seem peaceful....the crosses have been moved to a church, but the piles of flowers, stuffed animals remain.  DeKalb has signs everywhere encourage the kids to move forward.  Hope they can.

The weather is supposed to warm up to normal temperatures...I'd even settle for 40.  We have two weeks until spring break.

I haven't let all this change effect me too much.  I am looking forward to spring.  I can't wait to get my hands dirty in the garden!

 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww Rose , How sad and tragic about your cousin :( I'm so sorry hon, hope your hubby is feeling better by now, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

A very pretty girl and such a shame. Hope the guy gets his just desserts and his father too. Stay warm until spring arrives there. Paula

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your cousin, that's so sad.
I've had the flu too this weekend, the kids too, don't know how I'm going to drag myself in to work tomorrow. Only 2 weeks for us for spring break too. I can't wait! Stay warm! Martha ~

Anonymous said...

Glad for the justice, finally. DNA is great. Have a wonderful Sunday. Janie

Anonymous said...

Oh Rose,
How sad to see a picture of a beautiful young girl and for such a thing to happen to her.I am so glad that they got  the guy who did it. Hon,we have the flu to,
hope your hubby gets better soon. You should slow down a bit so you don't get
sick,you need rest also. I hope Tracey and Jeremy find a house close to you .
I know how much you love the kids.
Hugs
Mickie

Anonymous said...

40 degrees sounds like a heat wave to me, too, sad to say. That cousin of yours was a very pretty girl - a truly sad story. She looks a lot like one of my nieces.

There is a very slim chance I might be in chicago in the fairly near future. I will let you know, if I am!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have had your share of stuff going on.  I'm so sorry about your cousin's death and that it has taken so long to bring the case to court.  Thank God for DNA testing.

Sounds like everything else is falling into place.  Hang in there!  
Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

what a story about your cousin....i hope the SOB who killed the precious girl rots in prison!
Don't overwork yourself Rose.....i want my sweet Rose happy and healthy! I hope Mark gets over the flu...my God this is the longest damn winter EVER!
I hope Jeremy, Tracey and the boys are reunited soon. I love you!
lj