Saturday, July 5, 2008

a mother never retires...

Been a busy summer...seems I've been wearing the mother/grandmother hat more than I ever did when the kids were young.  Don't let anyone tell you that your job is done when they grow up...no way.  You just have to listen more, you still get to hug them, kiss them, throw in a few "it'll be ok" but dang it you gotta suck it up and let them go...

I got a call this past Wednesday while I was sitting on my friend's bus during a field trip, my boy's step mom called telling me my boy's grandfather had passed.  My ex's father had been ill a long time and everybody knew it was just a matter of time.  She had told Eric, my 23 year old soon, who had just recently been transferred to Ohio that grandpa was gone. This is the same kid who has been working 92 hour weeks (is there even 90 hours in a week??!!) opening a new Menard's store.  She told me he was silent, she was worried about him, she said, "Rose you call him, you have a way with him". God I hope so he's my kid!  I was a bit worried too, only because my son Eric is a "stuffer", he loves to go merrily along in life doing his thing, working, playing, living life and shoving the unpleasant things down, not dealing with them until the inevitable explosion.  I called, he sobbed and we talked.  I told him how proud I was of him, how hard it was to do what he was doing, being away, working unGodly hours, and how grandpa who himself was not a showy person would want him to stay put.  Grandpa was not having a service. 

Mark and I drove the 5 hours to see him Friday morning.  The kid needed us.  We spent the night,  he worked until 8 even though the store closed (the 4th of July holiday) at 6.  We went out, we met some new friends of his, we saw fireworks.  Today we had breakfast and he wentback to work, to work another 12 hour day.   I know tonight he will go out with some of his new friends, probably drink too many beers, and tomorrow he'll get up and do it again.

I worry about all my children, some days more than others.  I remember how I was when I was 23, 26 or even 32 like my oldest stepson Jeremy.  I think of how everything I went through in life made me who I am today.  I would never cheat any of my children the experience of living their life's by trying to tell them what to do, but I sure can be there to hug them, kiss them and tell them that everything is going to ok.  Oh yeah trust God that He has an eye on them too.  After all, we mom's can't be everywhere, right?

Menard's, Celina, Ohio

 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose I'm sorry for your son's loss. I know you are so proud of him as not all young people would work those hours to try to be a success in his job. Been missing you but know summer is a busy time. Paula

Anonymous said...

All we can really do is to be here when they need us. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your son's grandfather. I'm glad you got to spend some time with him on the 4th. Martha

Anonymous said...

You are a great mom!  It was so sweet of you to go see your son and help him grieve.  It's hard for young people when they lose someone close.  

We don't have Menards here in California.  Looks like a nice store.  You have to be proud that your son is willing to work so hard.  It's a rare thing these days.  He will be justly rewarded for his work ethic.
Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

You are such a good Mom and Grandma.I am sorry to hear that your son's Grandfather died.Your son sounds like his Mom,hard working etc.
So happy that you enjoyed the fireworks and was able to see your son.I bet you are tired today.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

So true. My son works 2 jobs! Has 6 hours between them. He is going to kill himself but I have to stay out of it. Really hard sometimes.. and yes, we never retire. God Bless, Janie

Anonymous said...

Opening a new retail store is HELL ON EARTH...i have done it twice in 13 yrs, once a Supercenter so i totally know what Eric is going thru and he is in management which adds a million more headaches. I wish you coulda seen me while on your way thru.....there is always a next time. Sorry to hear of the ex FIL dying....and you are totally the BEST mom ever.....you "get" these young adults and teens in a way MANY do not because you are so unselfish and so many women are totally selfish. I hope you have a good weekend.
much love

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of a Grandpa.  I'm glad you were able to go and send some time with Eric and give him only what a Momma can.

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww Rose, sorry about your loss, you are in my thoughts, Love Lisa