Thursday, September 11, 2008

finding recovery...

I was asked by a j-land friend to write about my recovery. My recovery ... something that is so part of me that I really don't think about it much as that...recovery. It's basically my life now, a way of living that I don't think I could change now even if I tried. The word recovery implies that some thing needs to be found or re found...for me it was finding me. I have always been a seeker...attention, my parents, friends, God, the unknown,...then men. But the loner in me pushed people away, or I clung to them. Growing up I was the spoiled, never wanting to go to school type, then one day age 12, I demanded my parents put me in private school or else...we moved. I was powerful...but the twist was I loved my new school, 8th grade was wonderful, I had friends, but still felt out of place. I lost 40 pounds of baby fat in high school, got good grades, was involved in school, drama club, pep club, I had a boyfriend my junior year, a tall boy who was two years younger than me. I wanted to be perfect, but felt like a freak...then I graduated, the boy moved, I got a job and went to junior college, then a friend took me to a bar...I met alcohol...I never ever was the same....

Alcohol was my friend, my best friend...after a few drinks I was no longer shy, quiet out of place...I was powerful...I never drank like a normal person. I got married on a dare, had two children because his mother told me to...then my world feel apart when my then husband accused me of cheating, (which was all in his head, I never cheated)...at some point during this time I crossed the imaginary line that all people who abuse substances crosses...the line where we lose the power of choice. I no longer could choose what would happen if I drank. There was no moderation. I divorced, moved into my parents home, had another child, crashed two cars, had a couple of very sad relationships and then the revolving door of recovery begun. It took over 4 years to finally stay stopped, I tried everything...self help books, church, prayer groups, yoga, meditation, 12 step programs, in and outpatient treatment, diet, exercise, moderation...I tried it all. In the end it came down to this...humbling myself and surrendering to something bigger than myself (for me God). I had no power...I needed help. Fortunately I got it, I took direction from sober people and thankfully after over 20 years I no longer use alcohol. I have the life I always wanted. Anything worth having takes time...and work....something I gladly do to keep the life I have...freedom ... what I have I freely give away...

 



 

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an impressive entry. I think it was nice of you to post this as it just may be of help to someone here. You never know. I'm so proud of what you have become after going through all that you write about. I'm proud to be your j-land friend, Paula

Anonymous said...

I never liked to drink, thank goodness. I did get into the night club scenes when I first started singing. Met my husband now in a bar and he drank. Yes, God can change anything or anyone if we have the desire for Him to do so. I don't know where I would be without Him. Wonderful entry and thank you for sharing. Hope that it helps someone else. We just never know when we are planting a seed... then God does the rest. Hugs, Janie

Anonymous said...

with tears here i say thank you Jesus for rescuing Rose and i mean it. You are a wise and wonderful lady and you have SO much to offer everyone..kids who ride the bus, friends, family and your children. Think about what if you were still drinking. Though i never vocalize it, my heart is destroyed knowing that my mom and my dad will never put the bottle down while they are alive. So sad. I am so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

What can I say,you are a special Lady!
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful woman who has overcome some huge obstacles!!  CONGRATULATIONS on an awesome recovery!

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I remember how we met, treasure the bond we have between us, Rose. I am so very proud of you. To God be all the glory!
Hugs, hon and much love too.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/FROMBARBSSPIRITUALJOURNALS
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us Rose. I am so thankful that you found the help and the strength to do it! Love and hugs, Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just found your journal, by way of another journal, but don't remember which one now, lol.
It takes a very brave person to do what you have done and continue to do.  I know there's a reason I found this particular entry in your journal today.
Madison

Anonymous said...

Mary led me here.
Congrats on closing that revolving door and surrendering the power.
Since today is my first day back on a healthier lifestyle, I look at this message of yours in "anything worth having takes time...and work..." as just another blinking  sign for me to not give up, it CAN be done. So thank you.

Erica

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm sure there are people who are struggling, and will find inspiration from you!

My addiction was smoking, and as of August 5th, both my husband and I have been 2 years smoke-free!

All my best,
Beth

Anonymous said...

came over here via Mary's journal; so awesome about your recovery; so awesome it has been over 20 years; so awesome you relied on God for the help you needed!

thanks for sharing this :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Mary sent me your way. You were fortunate to have those around you to support you in your recovery. So many do not have that.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip/

Anonymous said...

came by way of Mary...  thanks for sharing your story and your strength.  
d

Anonymous said...

MARY TOLD ME TO CHECK U OUT..GREAT. U DID IT ALL, ITS A WONDERFUL THING TO FINALLY FIND URSELF..ITS GREAT TO BE ABLE TO PUT IT ALL ASIDE. I WISH I COULD. I AM NOT A DRINKER, BUT AN EATER..LOL..SEE YA SOON, ROBERTA

Anonymous said...

I tell you all the time I don't get your alerts, and now Mary sent me !
What an amazing story, your a very strong brave person.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Glad your story has a great ending :o)

Anonymous said...

I hope your story will be able to help someone else with an addiction problem.  Very courageous of you to share your story with us, and I'm so glad you're happy now.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Here via Mary. Thanks for sharing.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hi- I'm part of the "mary sent me club" !  I'm glad she did, as she's so sweet helping people all the time.  What an incredible story and straight to the point! I've had semi similar experiences as you have, and I thank God that He set me straight on a few things, but with my smoking- I have either not listened to Him, or He's been quiet.  Most likely, It's me not listening!  God Bless you, and if you have any suggestions~ by all means, let me know.  I've tried so many times to quit, and whenever I start up again, I smoke even more.  It's pitiful really,but it's like you said- likea best friend, or at least a constant companion you can't get rid of no matter how hard you try!  Thank you though, for sharing your story.  I pray it will help a lot of people.  Carolyn~

Anonymous said...

It takes tremendous strength to do what you did. You are a remarkable woman, but we already knew that :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

You are awesome!  
Hugs, Kathy