Monday, August 21, 2006

school buses, routes and kids

First of all YES the kid gets a discount!  YAY!  I am very proud of my child in that she presented herself in such a manner that they called her right away for the job.  Plus I am one of the ones who really loves that store, especially when they discount an item, they discount it really well.

Above is one of my many sunflowers.  I love these giant beauties...they grow so straight and tall and the bumble bees love them.

Today was our route bidding.  A couple of more people quit so I ended up getting a pretty sweet route.   I did not get the grade school that I usually get, but I need a break from those kids anyway.  The school is an A-1 pain to get in and out of, the neighborhood is still under construction and besides the Junior high that was offered in this package was a good group of kids so I took it.  I can tell by the neighborhoods or subdivisions which kids are good or not.  Some have some awful reps for being holy terrors and their parents back them.  Makes me sad. 

Our routes are set up into packages.  Usually a senior or a junior high route and then a grade school route pickup in the am, then you go back in the pm and take them home.  We used to be able to do all three school levels, but the powers that be changed all the school times and the area is gotten bigger so it's pretty much impossible to do that.  So again this year I actually only will be working 1/2 of my guaranteed hours.  Again...SWEET!  We go back on Thursday to bid on our Midday routes, which is usually kindergarten or early childhood.  I want early childhood because they don't go on Wednesdays I like having 5 hours off during the middle of the day.  A person can get a lot of errands done during that time.  I am only a mile from my bus barn...so for me it's perfect.

The bus I picked was bus 60, it's a 2004 model, with the manual service door I like.  I know the girl who drove it last year.  She is neat, a bit neurotic and I know she took good care of it.  It also does NOT have a camera box in it.  The newer buses all have cameras that run on a hard drive.  While camera's are nice when you have trouble they are a pain when you are just driving.  I hate the thought of being watched.  Call me paranoid, but that's me.

Oh yeah Happy birthday J-land ... 3 years... a lots changed, but nah it's the same!

Love you guys...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose -
I'm glad you are happy with your routes.  Good luck to you on Thursday with your next set of picks.  How sweet it is to be high enough in seniority to get a lot of routes to pick from.  I'm happy for you, hon!  We do our picks on Thursday too.  But since I'm lowest in seniority my choices will be very slim.  Oh well..it doesn't matter.  I'm now in full time and that's all that really matters to me!  

Kathy G.

Anonymous said...

Rose...

Sure JLand has changed in 3 years!  It's gotten bigger! More JLanders!  Now we are an actual community versus a little "blink and you'll pass it" kinda place..lol

I'm sure you are very proud of your daughter.  The fact that she went in and just got the job just like that, is fantastic!  She must be quite the young lady! :)

Glad you got the school bus and route that you wanted.  If you have to go to work everyday, it's important to happy at what your doing!

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got a good route. Sounds like your off to a good start on the new school year. Yea!!!!
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

I know I'd love your yard,with the flowers,trees etc. they are so beautiful.I love trees and flowers anyway.
So happy for you that you got the route that you like.It sounds like it is very interesting ,sometimes hard and very rewarding job that you have.Yea,you get discounts and Liz has a great job.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

I sure thought of you today Rose while I argued for 20 min with our bus garage on the fact of picking up my boys. You see they have to ride with the High Schoolers and transfer at the HS to get to there Private School.  I don't like either of the bus stops they have for us, and ONE bus goes RIGHT by our house, but they say I have 2 close choices. <sigh> It's bad enough that they have to ride with big kids when they are only 4th & 1st graders. Pisses me off. Not to mention one bus stop is at a unsafe stop sign :( <pissing and moaning>
Anyway, LOVE the sunflower, glad you got a good route :)
Hugs
Angie

Anonymous said...

Love your sunflowers. I didn't plant one this year. Paula

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad , first, that your daughter is working at kohls I love that store!!!!
Second, glad you got the route you wanted.
Those sunflowers are so cool. I tried once to grow them, and couldnt, I will try again !!!
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Looks like things are going ya's way nicely!! WooHoo

Brenda

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are happy with your shift results!  That is always good news :)

Kara

Anonymous said...

Glad all is going well. Can't wait to read the adventures of bus#60!
You're right, as much as J-Land changes, it always stays the same! In the words of all Martha's "it's a good thing" :-)

Anonymous said...

i know i am so thankful that i met you here...you mean the world to me Rose.
Congrats on how well the bus bidding is going for you...i can not wait to hear all about it.
love you
lisa

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy that new route!

Of course you are proud of your girl! She will be proud to let you use the discount, too :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting the route you wanted!  Good Job!  Hope you get the other one so you have that 1/2 day on Wed.  That would be awesome.  When does school start?  My grandchildren started Aug. 15 which is very early this year.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

I'm with you!!  I would not want the camera.  Part of why I quit my last job and came home to work here for the veterans.  Beautiful sunflowers!!    Hugs,
Lisa