Monday, February 12, 2007

the day after...

 

My weekend started out great, spent with this little one...Jacob.  My stepson and his family all have been passing sickness back and forth.  Jacob needed some grandma/grandpa time so he came over Friday until Sunday.   I took him to his first trip to the library and we looked at monster trucks on the computer.  We even went to my buddy's home school web site & looked at the pictures from her family's trips to the museum.  Jacob loved the dinosaur pictures.

Until the sadness of yesterday.  Followed by a difficult day today.  I have no high school routes so I was spared the grief of the students there.  Only one junior high girl talked about the crash & she also knew K and was deeply saddened.  Most of them were annoyed by all the lectures they received by the junior high staff about drinking and driving, or the teachers crying because some of the students were former students.

I shared my pain with my supervisor we both knew K and gave each other a huge hug and shared little stories about her from when she was little throughout the day. 

The facts of the event are beginning to emerge.  It seems the children did not know the driver, she was someone who happened along these kids walking home from either a party or a bowling alley.  Their ride had not come to get them, and some of them had told their parents that they would be at other kids houses.  You know how kids do that, they tell their parents they are with someone and they go out and screw around.  My kids tried that, but their friends were dumb and I had caller ID so they always screwed up and called looking for my kids.  And when I ask, "I thought they were with you", they would always freak. 

So the kids all piled into a 4 door sedan, 8 kids mind you, the smaller ones sitting on the laps of the bigger ones. Some how hit the driver skidded & hit a pole. Killing 4 children.  1 girl is fine, my daughter's friend's brother will be ok, although a few have rumored him dead, one boy will be ok, but probably will never walk, and the 4th child I have heard will probably not make it.  The driver?  She is a 23 year old mother of 2 who drove drunk and did an incredibly stupid act.  One that has changed a community forever.

My town is a small one, we are growing, but our core is small town USA.  This has hurt us, will it change anything?  I doubt it, people will still not take responsibility for their kids, they will still let them do what they want and it kills me.  I always, always beat into my kids heads to not be stupid.  I educated them, I always knew where they were at, I have a huge, noisy personality so I always knew what was going on, or at least I made them believe that I would find out what they were doing. 

My daughter is also upset.  She said today was horrible.  Kids leaving school and hanging out at the crash site.  I find this very dangerous, it's on a highway, but I suppose it's necessary.  They leave their trinkets and cry with each other.  Such sadness, such a waste of live. 

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.  I appreciate this place to let my feelings out.  It's hard to hold it together.  Here I can let it out.  Thank you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i sit and think that Chad is one to do what HE wants even when he knows better and i know he'd get in a car in a split second with someone so not to have to walk and it makes me ill thinking about it. I am so sorry Rose for all of this. Wish i could hug you and Liz!
XO lj

Anonymous said...

Rose - This is really a difficult time for everyone.   I'm not directly connected to this in the way that you are, and I'm having a hard time with this horrible, useless, loss.  It's one of those times where we have to be thankful for the loved ones which God has brought into our lives.  And we are reminded by God that we don't know His  plans, so we need to be kind, gentle, loving and forgiving every day.  

My prayers continue for you and your Community, Rose.  I also wish I were there to give you and Liz a hug.  

Your friend,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Such a cutie!!  And so terrible about this incident.  It has made me think how important it is to make sure my children have a ride when they need one.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

It is just so sad when things like this happen. Only time helps...

Kara

Anonymous said...

How sad for everyone. I just have to say I love your pictures.Jacob is a little doll!
Your home with the snow looks beautiful.
Hugs
Mickie

Anonymous said...

This is a very sad situation - I am so sorry for everyone who knows the kids, and their families. A tragedy that did not need to happen! A very similar thing happened when my daughter was in high school. All 4 of the kids died, and the drunk woman was too - she went through a red light at close to 80 mph. What are these people thinking?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you and the kids in the wreck. What an awful thing to happen.
Hugs, R.C.