Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I am overcome...

Liz and Dayton...my lights....my joy

This rollercoaster does not seem to end.  Another child died Monday.  He is the 5th.  He never really was conscience.  He woke up briefly to ask about the crash then did not wake up again.

Then today the newspaper reported that one of the two boys that are still in the hospital was downgraded to critical.  I had heard he was fine, he was still injured but getting better, even giving the nurses a hard time like most 15 year olds do.  Then the rumors, at my work, rumors by adults who know better.  I complained to my kid, she texted me from school, "no mom, he's fine, his mom emailed the school, the newspaper was misinformed, your buddy's at work, they are wrong"

I come back in from my pm run, it takes me past the crash site, full of crosses, there's a new one, the 5th child, what do I see, another one, NO!  I look closer, it's a duplicate, someone made another for K. 

They still insist he's dead...another driver tells me her friend was going up to see him at noon, K's dad and his mom were going up to tell him that she was dead.  He didn't know this yet....he was now well enough to get the horrific news...his friend is gone.

I turn the TV on, no news.  Gossip, rumors...please no more death...please let the three survive.

Then this morning dense fog, another young one he's 21 runs a red light rear ends a semi, he dies at the hospital.

So much death.  My heart breaks.

we must do better for the survivors, we must use our energy to help the ones who can be saved, the ones who think that running the streets at night, drinking, piling into cars with drunk adults thinking that nothing can touch them. 

We must do something...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I am crying here...crying for all the young people that will never live their lives....crying for the parents that have lost their children....and yes I am crying for that young lady that drove that car drunk....I can't help but cry for her too...she too is so young..only 23 and yes she may have been drunk, and should not have been on that road drunk...and yes because of her there are so many deaths...but I cry for her because she is young too...She made two huge mistakes that night...driving drunk and picking those kids up to ride with her...though she was probably thinking she was saving them from being run over or picked up by a preditor...But I cry because she is only 23...and because of these mistakes, she will have to live with this the rest of her life...what life she will have left now...God help all those involved..this is so tradgic...
God bless you and comfort you,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rose.. my heart is breaking..  that is just too, too much!  My prayers and heartfelt sympathy goes out to all those families.  

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

Rose -  I am at a loss of words right now.  Charlene and Jackie have said it so perfectly.  This just doesn't seem to end.  

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I don't know the answer, I wish I did. Just pray for all concerned. Paula

Anonymous said...

It really is an epidemic... it starts in the home and with the families.  Pray as a family, read the bible as a family, teach your kids, lead by example.  Drinking and drugs are so bad!!!  When will people learn.... I am so so very sorry!!!  Makes you wonder when enough is enough.  I hear story night after night from my husband of people drinking and driving and no one listens and heeds the warnings.

So sorry.....  Kara

Anonymous said...

oh Rose. I am hurting FOR you. Wish i was with you to sit and talk and hug you. We just have to keep telling our kids about the dangers of drinking and driving and getting in a car with a drunk driver. This is a tragedy that there are no words to sooth the ache and the sadness. I love you truly.
lj

Anonymous said...

There is no place to hide from it either, is there? I am so sorry this is touching you so deeply. If only there were a good answer to how to avoid these unnecessary deaths. Phones in the car, drugs, alcohol, noisy kids, anything can cause distractions. Driving used to be a privilege, taken seriously. Somehow, I hope we can go back.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

It is such a tragic situation, and as someone who knew at least one of the victims, works with kids every day, and drives for a living, I'm sure you feel it even more keenly than most. Prayers for healing for all of the families...

Anonymous said...

Mandy and Tabby both think I am overprotective, but I remember the stupid things I did when I was young. I know I drove drunk a few times. There but for the grace of God go I. I remember that now, and can't believe I was ever so thoughtless and stupid...and young.  That driver will have to live with this forever, and that is a heavy burden to carry.