Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A snow day

The view outside my door, I live on a corner lot.  This is out the side door of my home.

This morning I got up jumped into the shower and afterward I decided to check my caller ID.  Seems the automated school district line, along with my department called to say school was cancelled. Wow, when I got up I looked out the window and it didn't look too bad, but it was windy and the snow was blowing drifts making roadways very slick.  Blowing the snow right over what the plows were plowing.  I have a feeling the school district just wanted to let everyone have a break.  Yesterday was bad, news crews everywhere, police staked out at the high school protecting the innocents.

I spent the morning sleeping, still trying to rid myself of a nagging sore throat, and just hanging out with my kid and husband.  We shoveled the driveway and played catch with the dog.  It was funny how he would lose the ball in the snow and then dig it out with his nose. 

I checked out some websites regarding the accident, and then realized why one of the boys that died looked so familiar.  I used to drive him 2 years ago on my high school route.  He was a good kid. 

More facts are coming out, the kids were at a party, K it seems was trying to get a ride home from some of her friends, and even walked to a house of a girl she knew close to the party and the girl told her she could not stay there.  The boys she called wouldn't come either.  They finally called her back at 2 am she was most likely dead by then.  Tomorrow is her wake, I will be there, grieving with her family.

The four surviving kids are impoving.  The boy that was supposed to be gone is not, he is also improving.  Thank God.  My daughter's friend's family set up a website to update his condition he is also doing well, but will need a lot of rehab.

I know my community will survive, we did back in 1973 when a high school girl got stabbed and murdered during the week of Homecoming.  We have survived much.  I just hope parents become much more aware of what their kids are doing.  We as parents must do a better job with this next generation.  Less stuff, more attention.  God help us, if we don't.  I appreciate this space my family of sick of listening to me...

I know tomorrow, at the wake my tears will flow

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.  I'm sure it's going to be a really rough day for your whole community.

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I am out of town and missed the story, but it sounds tragic. I am sorry for the girl's family and for everyone who felt they could have helped her and didn't.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sorry I havent been around much. I was truly saddened when I read the bad news of the accident. I pray for God to give the families the strength they need. Be careful out in that snow.
hugs,
E.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I googled the story and saw pictures of the kids.  What a terribly tragic event...so young, so many lives.  The families must be devastated. Teenagers and driving....reminds me why I nag at my DD every time she goes out the door, "Drive carefully!" So sad.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rose, I am so sad.  How awful to spend Valentine's Day or any day, for that matter, at your child's wake.  My heart breaks for all of the family, friends, and the community as everyone deals with this horrible tragidy.  It really leaves a huge hole in your heart that does not heal quickly.  Our family was directly effected by a drunk driver killing my brother and I have two friends who both lost kids when they were 16 to drunk drivers.  It's maddening!  I will be praying for you and everyone there.
Love,  Kathy

Anonymous said...

All that snow you all are getting wow!  it is nice and sunny here.  It is so true what you said about less stuff and more attention!  Teens today are given so much freedom and room to make decisions they really aren't capable of making!  It breaks my heart!  I am going to be one uncool Mom but I really don't care! I will do all I can to keep my kids smart and safe!!!  So sorry for the families...

Kara

Anonymous said...

Wow look at that snow!!  Glad you got some time with family.
So sorry to hear about those kids. Such a tragedy.  Prayers.
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

How'd the wake go? My part of Ohio also got much much snow. Be safe my precious friend, i love you.

lj

Anonymous said...

The photo is the exact same view from the photo of you sent me of you holding the postcard, remember? -- I'm so sorry about the accident. It's so sad. How are the children who survived doing? -- Hope your sore throat is better. Martha