Saturday, February 24, 2007

finally ....

I am a very hyper person....since I can remember my family has told me to slow down.  I tend to freak out ask questions later.  So this week has been one freak out after another, until I decided to stop myself mid-freak out.  It's not easy, I've been this way for a long time...in my younger days I used to use alcohol to calm myself.   I stopped doing that a long time ago when I realized it just made matters worse.  I then tried therapy...groups, one on one.  Now I know myself well enough that I know that prayer and a good brisk walk help a lot.  I still experience symptoms of my stress, but I really do not want to seek out medication to calm me.  Talking (I do that well), proper diet, prayer and walking seem to be working.  Today I took a walk.  

Things will take a long time to pass for my community over the crash.   I have ignored rumors and have made my peace with this.  I only pray for the driver she is young herself and has a long horrible road to go down.  I think of how she is around the age of my children.  I cannot say that they are angels either.  We all must live with our choices.

At my job I have a midday.  It's a route that involves taking home a group of preschool kids and then bringing in another group.  Yesterday while I was dropping of a little girl, her mom came on the bus, she paused for maybe 60 seconds while the girl sat in a seat as she is a car seat for transport, they both departed my bus, the girl sat down on the ground this probably took another 60 seconds.  As this is going on I still have my stop sign on the bus out.  I usually check my mirrors to see if any cars are behind me.  People have been known to be impatient and honk at me.  Soon an older man approachs my bus screaming at us for holding him up.  He told us that he did not think it was necessary to be "chatting" for 10 minutes.  I told him we were dropping a child off, he preceeded to tell us that we were not and we were just talking while we held him up.  Well, the mother screamed at him, my monitor nearly jumped off the bus to yell at him.  ?????  I was speechless, this is not the first time citizens have gotten angry with me for taking too long to load or unload little children.  Jerk.

I was never so glad to see Friday.  We are supposed to get an ice storm tonight.  But on a happy note my husband is back to work!

Can spring be around the corner!!????

Thank you again for your prayers and thoughts & comments...I am truly blessed.

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids take as long as they need to get off a bus. Getting angry isn't going to make things happen fast, other than that guy's blood pressure going up! What an ass he was.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I can't deal with people and their rude and dangerous road behavior. I can't count how many times I have been honked, sworn, given the finger, and about ran off the road because I was ONLY going 65 instead of 90 on the freeway. Makes me so upset and I hate driving!!!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

It took me a long time to realize that when you deal with people there are always that few that are true jerks. I have them all the time. Hang in there girl.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

What is it with people and their road rage.  So many people think that saving a few minutes is more important than safety.  I try to remember when I am in a hurry, that people won't really care if I'm a few minutes late, and that having an accident and possibly hurting someone would be MUCH worse.

"Talking (I do that well), proper diet, prayer and walking seem to be working." I like your anti-freak-out program.

Anonymous said...

What a jerk! Seems you hold it all together well though. Paula

Anonymous said...

Amazing the way people can act sometimes!  I have had to wait for school buses before...when they have the stop sign out, and the red lights flashing.  So what!  It's one of the best laws they ever passed!  That man needs to get a life, or slow down or something.

You are so patient, Rose.. I admire you so much...

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Rose -  I can understand your comments about the old man and your stop arm.  I too, feel guilty when my arm is out and I'm holding up traffic.  I try to be consciencious and activate my 8 ways when I see a break in traffic.  (Some of my stops are on a 4-lane busy divided roadway.  This freaks me out).  My fear is causing a rear end collision in the left lane.  

More seriously, in the light of all that has happened, I too feel a bit sorry for this young woman who was driving the car that evening.  She made a stupid mistake and I  bet she hardly remembers much about that night.  My son is 21, also not far from her age of 23.  My heart would be breaking for my child right now.  But this does not dismiss her actions, and I still feel that whatever happens to her will not be enough of a punishment.  

I'm glad you have a way of coping with your stress.  I quit smoking 9 weeks ago and sometimes want to give in to my cravings.  What would help is that I need to start walking too, but my excuse is because of this nasty Chicago cold weather.  Still haven't picked up a smoke....so I guess there is something to be said about my will power.  

Stay strong Rose....we'll stay strong for each other.  Ok?  

Keep protecting those young ones.......No matter what those idiots do.  

Kathy

Anonymous said...

You are very wise and have lived thru alot and i am glad you are able to handle this tragedy in a way that helps you. I get behind two handicapped buses on my way home from work sometimes and they are so close to my house, i can not get around them. It takes FOREVER to get that bus to move on but i dont get mad. That man should be ashamed of his stupid ass self!
I hope you are having a good weekend.
love you, lj

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised a citizen would act this way over children getting off the bus.  You just keep doing what is right.  You are a good driver and they will just have to wait.  

I will not forget that boy who got ran over by a car last year in J Land when getting off the bus.  Glad you are handling the stress of that incident so well.  We are here for you.
Hugs,
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

I am always astonished at how people do not realize that children are the most precious thing in our lives, and that keeping them safe should be the priority of the entire culture. I am sorry you experienced this, and sorry that the butthead didn't realize this ,too.