Sunday, February 11, 2007

a sad day

    A few years back we used to have next door neighbors who had 4 boys and one little wee girl named K.  K's family had issues, like we all do so whenever I could I pitched in and took care of her, giving her baths, brushing her long blond hair into two neat braids, I used to put her on the school bus headed to pm kindergarten.  My boss J, who drove the bus, even remembers me from those days some 8 years ago.  That was one of the reasons she hired me, I was always nice to K.  K's family move a few blocks away and I never saw her again. 

     We heard some very horrible news early this morning...K now 14 was with a group of high school kids who did a very, very stupid thing.  Eight of them got into a car with a suspected drunk adult (23) and she drove the car, slide it into a pole one mile from my home, breaking the pole off in two.  K along with 3 other children were killed instantly.  One of the injured boys is the brother of the girl my own daughter was with last night at a party at her home.  Why were these kids out at 2:30 in the morning!!???  The mother of the friend of Liz's is someone I've known since high school.  Maybe she didn't know where her 15 year old was, maybe she thought he was safely at a friend's house, but my God, what a thing to wake up to.  I do not know if the other 5 will live or die.   My heart just breaks, poor K she is just too young, so young. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am sad and sickened by this. This could be any ones child. I am so sorry Rose. I wish i was there to hug you and talk with you. I know how this must hurt you so. I hope Liz is doing ok, since she knows these kids.
I will be thinking of you.
Love you,
lj

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for all who read about this and have people in our own family who drink and of course the family of all concered. Between drugs and drinking ,
so many lifes are being lost. Rose I know how upset this is for you and honey
you know you as well as others are in my prayers.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

OH sooooooo sad......I am soooo sorry...that is truly heartbreaking..and something each mother fears the most...God be with her family...and God bless you for being there for her when she was little.
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is horrible, how sad for everyone involved.  Teenagers do such stupid things and it is just tragic when their mistakes are deadly.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, It truely is a sad day for you all. I'm sure you brought some happiness into K's life when she was little. Paula

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is such a sad story.  I had two drunk driving experiences when I was in high school.  I lost friends in the accidents both times (I wasn't there....I just knew the kids)  It is something that has stayed with me forever.  It was one of the darkest, saddest times in my young teenage life and it scares the heck out of me that it is still happening today...especially since I have teenagers of my own now.

I'm so sorry for that little girl and her family.

((hugs))
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

my worse nightmare...is to lose one of my kids..
how very sad...
I'm sorry...
I have taken care of other people's kids off ond on my entire life and I know how attached you can get even to the ones that are not "really" yours..
~Christie

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That is devistaing!!!!

Kara

Anonymous said...

Rose - My heart is breaking for all of you within your community.  I know you are a close knit community and you've spoken of the "family feeling" you have in your home town.  I've seen it on the news and it leaves me feeling numb.  

My radio station played a song this morning to honor the memory of the four fallen teens.  It was an emotional song, and brought me to my knees with tears.  The song is by Kenny Chesney, titled "Who You'd Be Today."  I'd like to share that song with you and for any of your J-land friends who might also be feeling the pain from losing a child.   Unfortunately, I am amongst one of them.  

Hang in there Rose.  Stay strong.  My prayers are with you and your neighbors.  

Kathy Gorecki

Anonymous said...

<<<<Oh Rose>>>>>,
This is just tragic and sad news.  My prayers are with you and these families at this time.  
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sorry it took me so long to get to the original story - what a tragedy. I am sorry for everyone involved. What a preventable tragedy.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is horrible, just every parent's nightmare...and what was that driver thinking???