Wednesday, September 26, 2007

balance

I am feeling much better today.  The weather has been an unseasonably hot, 90's and sitting in a big yellow tube all day can get to you...plus road construction has been horrible.  Yesterday I saw a little car try to driver under a semi trailer...needless to say he didn't make it.  My midday preschool route is growing and is now up to 24.  I no longer have Wednesday mid days off so now I am having to actually work for my pay.  That's ok, it forces me to manage my time better.

Today is much cooler and  the headache I had from the weather change is now gone. 

A video game name "Halo 3" came out yesterday so that was the topic of my junior high route.  This kept them occupied the 10 minute trip to school.  I have had to use much humor in keeping them in line.  They were allowed to stand last year and I told them to stop living in the past that the rule is sit while the bus is moving.

Being creative is also useful for grade schoolers.  There has been a war going on in the back of the bus between the older and younger kids.  I only have 20 kids total on the bus, but kids are kids.  I solved this by assigning a day for each grade level, starting with first grade.   They each get their own day to sit in the coveted back seats.  So far so good.

A couple of days ago my neighbor who is 5 and rides my bus yelled at my daughter, who was sitting on a bench in the yard, out his window.

----"hey girl!  do you know that my bus driver lives in your house??"

see they can be cute after all!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose, glad you are feeling better, too funny about your neighbor, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Never a dull moment on your bus I bet. Paula

Anonymous said...

i wrote about Halo3 in my journal today.....i LOL at your neighbor..cute things are surely said by little kids!
Hot here too!
love,lj

Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling better!  Sounds like you are enjoying the kids on the bus... they sure are cute!!  Mine are so rowled up when they get home... I don't know how our bus driver puts up with them in the afternoons.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I give you a lot of credit...I could never drive a school bus. In my mind, bus drivers could never get paid enough!!!
June

Anonymous said...

Funny stories!!!  Hope things keep going well for you!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

That last little one reminds of a child who ran into his teacher in the grocery store - "Miss Jones! You eat groceries too??

Have a great weekend, Rose!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

"hey girl!  do you know that my bus driver lives in your house??"

Now that really is the cutest thing! Glad things are going well.
Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

You are so great with the kids!  I admire your patience and the tricks you come up with to keep calm. I know I could not do the job because of my lack of patience and the fact that I get so irritable  with there is a lot of noise behind me, LOL.  You're terrific.  The kids are so lucky to have you.
Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it . I would never be able to drive a bus. The kids would hate me before it was over. LOL.
Hugs, R.C.