Sunday, September 30, 2007

the weekend....

The nice thing about being a grandma and a mother of grown children is that most weekends are mine...well, mostly...I do have a husband too!

I have been mostly wandering around my house, doing this and that.  Weekends like this are nice, they recharge the soul.

My husband is very sports minded.  Today he is flipping between the Chicago Bears, Nascar racing and golf...yawn!....he would be watching the Cubs if they were playing...after all the Cubbies have won their division!   The Cubs have long been known to be cursed and haven't won the world series in forever.  Cubs fans are going nuts.  I used to follow them way back when I was a child...I even kept a score sheet while I watched the games.  I could name the whole team, one of the players, Ernie Banks came to my grade school.  He had a motto each year...that year it was the Cubs will shine in 69.  boy that does age me.  I think I still have his autograph.

Today would have been my mother's 69th birthday.  She's been gone for 8 years.   Time is a weird thing...it feels like so long ago...but I can still feel her all around me.  She is missed.

It's still unseasonably warm here in the Midwest, but no complaints from me.  Liz and I went to the nearby Methodist church this morning.  I've gone many times over the years.  I tend to be a wanderer when it comes to church too.  We went to the contemporary service...as soon as I walked in an older lady I've know forever grabbed me and hugged me.  "Thanks, Donna"  hugs are always welcome.  She promptly scolded me for my wet hair.  I love that.

We all could use more hugs!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!  I agree with ya, girl!  Sometimes, husbands can be more work than the kids! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  Then again.........we would'nt have it any other way, right?

Love and hugs xoxoxo,

Adrian

P.S.  Thanks for visiting my journal, too! <3

Anonymous said...

Rose, glad you had a good weekend, I agree, Hugs are always welcome, Love Ya Lisa XO

Anonymous said...

I was raised in the Methodist church so I have a soft spot in my heart there. I know you do miss your mom. She would have been close to my age. Have a good day tomorrow and hope all your little charges will behave. Paula

Anonymous said...

Sending you some big hugs! Enjoy what's left of the weekend! Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy your weekend!!!  Hugs are nice :)

Kara

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed church.....hugs are AWESOME at church...so welcoming....glad that DH is busy with the TV....at least he is out of your hair...still warm here in Ohio also. I love reading when you sound content and happy.
i love you,
lj

Anonymous said...

You bet! :o) Hugs are so great to give and recieve! :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I sure was hugged today ;-). Glad you had a good weekend!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Your melancholy day was so sweet with memories of your Mom. Isn't it wonderful to be able to feel her all around you?

When I was a kid, Ernie Banks was one of my favorite baseball players. He was a gentleman.  You are so lucky to have met him!

Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

I am a church wanderer, too...God likes diversity, or She wouldn't have created such variety in the world!

Anonymous said...

Hon,it is wonderful being a Mom and Grandma,. Al used to be into sports ALL the time,but not as much now. That is ne at to have one of the Cubs autograph.
I guess we always remember our Mom's honey,I miss my Mom too.
We've been sick but hope we'll feel better soon.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your journal through Just Mary.  I have two teens a Jr and a Sr. and sure am looking forward to the time when they are in college and I have my weekends or anytime without the chaios.  I love my babies, but its time.  Hubby, well..... he will always be here and I just have to face the fact that I like it like this rather than the alternative.  (He could be out with bds drinking or ???)   :)
Stop by and Say "Hi"
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/   Tracy