Monday, September 24, 2007

Ovarian Cancer awareness

September is Ovarian Cancer month...we have a friend who passed away from the silent killer nearly 5 years ago.  She wasn't diagnosised until she was already stage 3. 

Every year her husband has a bike run/fund raiser for the hospital that she was treated at, for research and treatment of others. 

Yesterday was a gorgeous sunny day.  We started at a Harley Davidson dealer a few towns from here.  There were over 200 bikes that traveled the 15 miles to a VFW in another town.  There is nothing like the roar of 200 bikes!

Her motto was turning a whisper into a roar...

here is a copy of the poem she wrote when she got sick...she was truly a hero!

Turning a Whisper into a Roar

I never thought I would get it, so healthy I lived my life,
It snuck up upon me, a whisper, oh the strife.
I did not know Ovarian Cancer, I did not know its signs,
So much I've learned since then, I've read so many lines.

There is no magic dust, no magic cure for me,
Like so many others, it wasn't caught till Stage 3C.
So there were surgeries and chemos, there were doctors and nurses you'd adore
It would have been nice to meet them through a totally different door.

I saw the fear and pain within my mother's eyes,
My husband was so supportive, holding me for those needed cries.
I knew I had a fight ahead, so courage I had to muster,
There was no time for half-baked schemes or anything lackluster.

They say Ovarian Cancer is a Silent Killer, that it whispers as it spreads,
Too many have been dying, too many now-empty beds,
I knew I had to yell, to scream from a mountaintop,
To bring awareness out there, no one could make me stop.

There is no detection test, a pap smear does not do it,
We have to come upwith one, we have to see to it.
And therefore the awareness run was born, a run with cars and bikes,
To have some fun and raise some funds, so others wouldn't have to fight.

Through many sponsorships and donators, a successful event we had,
We hope to make it annual, for this I am truly glad.
If this event saves one person, our efforts haven't been in vain
Research dollars and awareness are what we have to gain.

So many special people, so many special friends,
I've been so blessed in life to have support that never ends.
I'd like to take this time to thank you, for the many things I am thankful for,
But especially to thank you for helping me Turn a Whisper into a Roar!


Dorene Gae Knapp

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose, thank you for posting this, Hugs to you Lisa

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry you lost your friend.
love lj

Anonymous said...

How very touching. I'm so sorry she had to go through this and sorry you lost a friend. Paula

Anonymous said...

{{{Rose}}} I'm so sorry.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a very brave and wonderful woman. Im so sorry for those she left behind!

Kara

Anonymous said...

I hope we do get a good test for it soon - it's so scary. I am sorry for your loss.

xoox

Anonymous said...

That gave me chills and tears.  You were blessed to have had her as your friend.  And, what a wonderful thing for her husband to do in her memory.  Talk about turning a negative into a positive.  I have such admiration in that.  My best friend had it too, she was so lucky!  They found it in stage one when she had an unrelated illness that required a laperoscopy.  There was a little something on her ovary so they did a biopsy while they were in there and found it.  She's been cancer free for 10 years.  Praise God!  Thank you for sharing this story and for participating in the Ride for the Cure.
Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

This made me cry...my brush with cancer last year has made me hyper alert to how lucky I am...