Tuesday, September 16, 2008

preception...

We cannot choose our external circumstances, but we can always choose how we respond to them.

~ Epictetus Quotes from The Enchiridion

 

Thank you Mary for your entry.  Thanks for reading people & commenting.  More than anything I enjoy meeting new people. I started my journal back in 2004.  Anybody who thinks I have it together should read some of my old entries.  I was one scared girl...so much was happening back then...and I was full of fear. But over the years things have worked out.  I just did what I was taught, give up the power, do the next right thing and push forward.  Oh and work, my husband & I have worked our butts off to clean up the mess of our circumstances.  

I could have looked at things from the point of view of a victim..."these bad things happened to us...wah!"  But in reality stuff happens to everybody.  Death, job loss, divorce, kids getting arrested, crappy ex's...happens everyday to everybody.  I have found that it's all in how you look at things.  Every thing that I thought was a bad thing has always been used in my life.  And often things I used to think I wanted in life, even begged God for turned out to be not so good for me.  A job my husband really wanted ended up going out of business.  For years I wanted my stepson to move in with us, but ha ha he's here and 21 and it's not so fun...but he's here and now what am going to do about it?  Baby him like his mom?  no...he did come home, had a million excuses...I simply told him that I was sick of him using us...that nudged him into some sort of thought...we shall see how far.  He did mow the lawn today unasked...no he needs to go look for a job...I don't need a handy man.

Now the grand babies...they came for a visit yesterday.  Dayton kept looking at me with his baby blues pointing at me and saying "grandma..."  batting his little eyes in a way only a two year old could do...Now...my stepson wants to rent the house next door...like I said be careful what you wish for.  But I'll be baby heaven!

I knew things would change...they always do, better or worse, good or bad life always has it's surprises....& I am glad I am around to experience them!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree what you pray for is not always what is good for you. You have certainly pulled yourself up by the boot straps and carried on. Good luck, Paula

Anonymous said...

So happy that you were able to see your grandkids. Your a great Mom.
Each day is a challage ,some good,some bad.
Hugs
Mickie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the heads up on your entry. I have no clue why I never get your alerts.
Yes, be careful what you wish for, that's so true. You just might get it , and then what?
And I do suppose that Life is what you make it I suppose...and its all about how you respond.

Take care my friend,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Two words come to mind here.....unanswered prayers!
Grandbabies next door......pure joy. My MIL lived across the street from us, before she got ill with cancer and passed on and I can tell ya, my girls had it made. Though they were so small, they still remember her closet for them, with nothing but dress up stuff and of course, her famous P'nut butta cookies.
Enjoy it.

Hugs
erica

Anonymous said...

not everyone learns and grows from their bad circumstances, Rose. You did. You ARE wise. You are my wisest friend. You should be applauded because you are giving Mark, Liz, the grandbabies and the boys something that, to ME, is more precious than ANYTHING.....a sober Rose. I have been with you since the beginning and i have learned so much from YOU.
XO

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by way of Mary's.  You are sure right that perception --- point of view --- is critical!

Attitude is what we can choose 100% of the time as long as we recognize we have the choice and exercise it instead of allowing circumstances to choose our attitude for us.

It's really nice to see a journal of hope and wise choices.  Thank you.
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

Attitude is everything!  Takes the victim right out of us when we realize what you did.  There are choices we can make every day to push us forward in life or to keep us in the mire.

Hugs, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I'd rather pull a seppuku than get some of the stuff I longed for when I was young.  Much better off without it. I love the quote. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

That is so true! Those grandbabies sure are special!! lol Wishing you a great rest of the week with lots of blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

Eventually you are going to have about 890 grandchildren, lol! People who whine and complain that they aren't responsible for anything and act like victims - stay that way. Or get worse. I love your attitude! It gets things done :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Well Rose, we have the same attitude in life and after hearing so many "wha" stories, I'm so glad we have the attitude we have! Peace, love and happiness to ya! Hugs, Martha :-)