Wednesday, May 24, 2006

~daughters~

My family is mainly boys.  I am the oldest and only girl, I have 3 younger brothers.  I always said that if I had had a sister I probably would have have given her away.  My husband has 5 sons, I have 2.  Liz is my only daughter and while I love her dearly and call her my miracle child there are days that she tries really, really hard to drive me crazy!  With the boys they got mad, stomped around, ate something and got over whatever was bothering them.  NOT Liz!

This past weekend she spent most of it crying.  Not just weeping, not just sniffle sniffle, but all out bawling, snot running, hiccuping sobs.  It got so bad on Sunday that Mark suggested I take her to the therapist she saw back in junior high for her "normal" growing pains.  The reason for the sobbing?  She didn't get her way.  She seems to think that if she pretends to do what we ask of her (look for a job, pick up her room, and walk the dog, before she goes out) then that means she can spend all the rest of her time with Mike.  NOPE!  She's not married to him yet and before we play we do our responsiblities.  She's better now though.  We sat down over the course of this week and discussed things step by step, over and over and she seems to get "it".  Whatever "it" is she seems to be able to discuss things without freaking out.

Lucky for her Mark's matured and grown as a father, he is much more patient and rational than he used to be.  We both realize that 'this too, shall pass', and to not take any of this personally.  We both realize that growing up is hard and she's our last--- we did ok with the rest so we'll do fine raising  her.

She is also delighted to be on the Drama Club board, which is some leadership position in theater for next year.  After this past weekend she should make the starring role in the next play! ;)  She is signed up for the summer theater which is the Pride and the Prejudice.  Maybe she can work out some of her attitude there!

Nah, I really am thankful for this kid, she has a huge heart, a loving spirit, and an all around great person!  I wouldn't trade her for 10 boys!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, Rose. A few hours of a whiney child is enough to make you want to see if they will fit down the toilet if you flush hard enough. You know that in the long run she will appreciate the time you are taking with her and teaching her the right way. Kids need limits, and they know it!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see that there are still parents out there that love their children enough to set limits on them....there are so many children and teens that are lost because parents take no responsibility to raise them right, they just try to be their "friends"... a parent has the hard job of being the " meanie" and most don't even try to watch out for their kids now...
I applaud you and your husband for sticking with your guns...
Carlene

Anonymous said...

I was never around boys much so I wanted girls and got them. Didn't think I would know how to raise a boy. Now that I am older I wish I had one although my girls are great. Paula

Anonymous said...

I have a Grandson who does the same thing as Liz did only he keeps it up until he gets his way.I guess my daughter gives in because she gets stressed out with all
his carrying on.I wish she'd just let him not get away with it,but.......
Have a good day Rose.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

Rose...I have to honestly say...your Liz sounds somewhat like my Amy!  I hope everything settles down for her soon.  Its so hard being her age!  I'm so glad I, personally, never have to do it again, because I don't think I could! ha ha!  That great about the drama club!  She should be very proud of herself!  I know you are proud of her!  You are such a good mom!  The first college we looked at with Amy was Purdue...(I see she has a Purdue shirt) have you ever visited the campus???  It's HUGE!  I was so happy when Amy decided against going there!  It was so far away, and just HUGE!  ha ha!!
Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, thanks for the warning for those teenage years !   I treasure the time I have now with my daugher  before her attitude kicks in.

hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

welcome to the teenage years...I have a boy, he just turned 13 in march..Sooo I still waiting for the teen to come out...bracing myself for it every day! good luck, maybe you can give me some pointers on how to survive the boy thing.

patty

Anonymous said...

As a girl lgrowing up  in a house with 3 other women I feel for you!!!  Girls are tough!  Very emotional and super sensitive!!!!!  Hang in there!!!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

I have 3 boys, and one girl... and my boys and I get over things and move on, whereas my daughter and I....hmmmmm.....totally different story.  I think it's a mother/daughter thing, but then your daughter acts that way with your hubby too.  No hubby here, so I wouldn't know.

Sounds like she just MIGHT get that starring role in the next school play! hee

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I tried to reply to this days ago and AOL went nuts.
I have found that raising a boy is easier than a girl. I have one of each. I want to choke both daily and its evenly divided who will be choked first. LOL

Liz is a keeper and very much her own lady. Like her mama.
LOVE you always,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

I've always said , If I had it to do over again I'd rather raise five boys over one girl. LOL I'd never trade Sammie off, but there were times when she was growing up that I thought about it. LOL.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

Oh, lord, she sounds just like MAndy.Sigh.