Friday, December 9, 2005

everything is alright-snow and all!

I am about 45 miles southwest of Chicago.  Last night we had a big snow storm.  It was a typical northern Illinois storm with most of the snow being toward Lake Michigan.  We ended up getting around 5 inches here, but the southern part of the city got 10 inches.

The above picture is of an airplane that skidded at Midway Airport.  Midway is a very small airport so the pilot I am sure only had little room for error.  This could have been a real bad accident because the plane actually went into a wall and then into traffic!  A child did die, but everyone else survived. 

My neice, who works with me, lives near this airport and it took her 5 hours to drive a 2 hour drive.  I tried to talk her into staying here with us, but you know kids they know everything! ;) 

My route was fine, I was a few minutes late to the 2nd school, because of traffic.  BUT the KIDS were awful.  Loud, naughty and bouncing off the walls.  I need to remember to bring my whistle, that usually gets their attention very quickly.  They're pretty much trained in school to respond to a whistle.  Otherwise I really had fun driving in the snow, but I did refrain from doing donuts, it was hard but I didn't do it! 

My daughter has her Christmas show this weekend.  Her director is so unprepared that the outfits that they were supposed to wear were only ordered 2 weeks ago and will not make it for the show.  She is in an all girls show choir that is actually a graded class.  They were going to be very nice too, red velvet with fur.  Oh well, at least I stopped myself from calling her teacher and yelling about the dresses and the little shorts that we were supposed to run out and buy.  I've gained some wisdom in my old age.  I am a lot more able to think before I react...well usually!  And my kid appreciates it too!

I am in shock, but my husband, Mark is actually working today.  Our very cold weather has caused the ground to freeze too deeply for the work crews to do their grading work. His work is an excavation company.  Four of my stepsons work for the company and they were laid off yesterday.  It's a bit earlier than usually.  Mark is one of two truck drivers he still has a lot of work to do, so !! THANKFULLY!!  he will probably work until the end of the year.

It's a true blessing because we are still digging out of our debt from our failed owner operator truck  position from 2003.  I have finally made agreements with all my past creditors.  Only two actually went to a legal agency.  I am so glad that I have dealt with lawyers in my past divorce and custody situations, because legal types DO NOT scare me.  Even though the poor unfortunates that they hire to threaten people think they can scare you into court.  One firm, that I have had the displeasure of dealing with is rude and crude.  I even asked the guy to stop being rude and he said it wasn't against any laws to be rude, and he could talk anyway he felt like.  UGH ! There is a letter in the future from me to this office, it's so unprofessional and down right wrong to think they can bully people.  I am not a deadbeat, I've had problems, but they are being corrected one step at a time.

I have found my way around their threats, it's called knowledge, and I know my rights and I refuse to deal with them.  I send them checks and they leave me alone.  It's quite nice.   All this I owe to God, very hard work and a level head.  And helping others, that's a big one.  I truly believe that what goes around comes around -- and that was taught to me by my wonderful mother...during my divorce.

I am off to play in the snow! 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about this plane sliding off the runway breaking it's fence and into traffic, killing a six year old boy riding in a car.  It's so sad anytime of year, but especially for that family right at Christmas time.  Every year will be so sad.  I pray for them and my heart went out.  I'm glad your husband is going to be able to work through the rest of the year.  Hope you have a Merry Christmas.  And good for you on not being bullied!
Nelishia
WISHING AND HOPING

Anonymous said...

John told me about that airplane. Now I get to see it by way of your journal. You felt like doing donuts, did you? Might be fun in that big ole' yeller bus. Stay warm. Paula

Anonymous said...

That plane accident was very sad. There will be many lawsuits, flight costs will go up, and it was no one's fault. It was an accident.

Good for you for working out your debts like an adult. It has probably been a rough road and I hope you can find a smoother one soon :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

That was a whirlwind tour! Sliding planes to wheelies, with a few lawyers inbetween, GREAT ENTRY!! rich

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose~ Happy Holidays!

I just love your pictures in your last journal they are just great. I know what you mean by the bill collecting and for real they do not have the right to talk to you un that way and bull you by law so that guy was wrong. Glad too hear that things are gettin better for you as my xmas is looking brighter this year. We too had 5 inches of snow over night and the kids didnt have school. Im now home alone wth them bcause my husband is at work until 12am tonite. Hope you have a good Xmas coming... I need to get goung have a goodnite take care,keep in touch
Love ya your friend Sara

Anonymous said...

That is so sad about the plane crash and little one dying. Very unfortuante but yes luckily it was not worse!  Seems snow makes kids go super hyper haha! Glad you survived :)

Kara

Anonymous said...

I heard about the airplane crash on the news and was sad to hear that one little boy died,but was happy that there were no more deaths from it. Rose,I am so proud of you and the way you have grown since I first met you. You are so right about the rude way you were treated,and I would send in a complaint!  You have fun in the snow.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

I saw that plane crash scene on CNN. Just heartbreaking. I know I prayed for all to survive but that little boy was taken to heaven too soon.

Anonymous said...

I heard about the plane crash in our news paper, that was sad, but I'm glad it wasn't worse. We didn't get much snow and most of it is gone. I'm glad, these people just don't know how to drive in it.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, R.C.