Wednesday, June 21, 2006

father's day, parades and kids

I had a wonderful weekend.  I even got my husband out to the fest! He hates crowds and gets easily annoyed by obnoxious people and Prairiefest usually has all of these.  Fortunately it rained on Saturday so after a nap we went over long enough to eat some carnival food and watch the fireworks.  The crowds were very small.  The main stage had a band that was delayed because of rain,  because beer is served at the fest a few overly happy people became antsy for the late start.  The powers that be started the fireworks early to satisfy them. Usually I only see the fireworks between the trees from my house.

Liz worked both evenings and her bossy, no nonesense attitude came in handy when dealing with both the drunk 'guests' and the folks that thought they could driver where ever they chose.  I raised that kid right!

We only had few issues with parade day.  Since we live on the Parade route we normally have the same people sit in our yard or in the easeway (which technically isn't ours, we mow and mantain it though).  We look forward to seeing these folks every year.  We sat up chairs in the morning, put up tables and our display made it quite clear that we were having a party in our yard.  Soon up pulls two guys, in an SUV with a kid.  They park in the middle of the street and proceed to unload chairs and two bags.  They did this exactly next to where we had our little party set up.  The rest of the block was totally empty.  First they set up one of those portable tents that people use to block the weather.  Ok, one tent in my yard is ok, then they start to set up a huge tent.  This was too much for my 'never' shy husband.  He blew his stack, and in a not so nice manner asked them to take down a tent, and respect other property.  This must of freaked them both out, because they took down the tents and moved.  I found out later that one of them was on our local school board, good thing I didn't do the yelling, I might have lost my job!  I am wondering whatever happened to common courtesy?

It must be as out of style as disciplining your children, manners and obeying stop signs.

I babysat yesterday.  Things are not perfect yet.  The other sitter, my husband's ex, still is carting the kids everywhere, running her own adult kids to work and court dates, they still are being effected by this and it shows in their behavior, BUT I am only the grandma, and stepmom.  My stepson wants his mother to finish out her obligation to babysitting his children.  She still is taking his money.  I will be watching them again on Friday and Monday.  Thank God my daughter in law will be quitting work soon.  This world doesn't two more angry spoiled kids.  Enough said!

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had such a fun time with the festival!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun but those guys should have been able to see you had something planned. Glad they left without trouble. Paula

Anonymous said...

love hearing that you had a good time, and the fest sounds like lots of fun.
Hugs, hon.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Rose,
Oops...a board member?  But really now, since he's a member of the community that everybody knows his face, he should have been more courteous.  I'm glad Mark said something to them.  I know I sure would have, but diplomatically.  

I'm glad the Fest was fun for you.  Sorry I missed it.  Sounds like your daughter has a lot of your "tude" and knows when it's appropriate to use it....she's a chip off the old block.  

Keep enjoying those grandbabies and enjoy your impromptu bus runs...it's a good enough balance to give you your "fix" on everything in life.  

And go ahead....keep spoiling the kids, that's your job!

Hugs,
Kathy G.

Anonymous said...

People certainly can be rude !!!  Living on the parade route must be so cool!!
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

So happy that you had such a nice weekend,except for the rude people. It was great that Liz was there  to help you out.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

"I am wondering whatever happened to common courtesy?...
It must be as out of style as disciplining your children, manners and obeying stop signs."

Doesn't that just say it ALL!!!!