Saturday, July 15, 2006

Saturday!

I took off the summer from my school bus driving job to help my daughter in law out with her children.  She is officially off work now and this weekend here in Northern Illinois we are having our summer heat wave, so she will be spending it in her air conditioned house, resting.  Mark's ex hasn't watched the kids much this summer so she took them to her trailer she shares with her sister to give Tracey a break.  Supposed to be in the high 90's with a lot of humidity.  I've lived here all of my 49 years and am used to the heat.  We have an old home with a boiler so we do not have central air.  I like it that way.  Going in and out of a/c drives me nuts and would rather be hot than go back and forth.  We do have a window unit so if it get too nasty at night we can turn that on so Mark can sleep, without too much whining.  When we first got married in 1995 it was a super hot summer with older people literally cooking to death in their apartments in Chicago, they were too afraid of crime to open their windows.  We were living in the upstairs apartment in an old Farmhouse.  We did not have a/c then, poor Mark complained the whole time. 

Now I am not as stubborn as I used to be when we first got married.  We brought two families of kids together and  back then it was a struggle, daily.  We were responsible for 5 kids full time and his 2 ever weekend.  That was 7 kids under the age of 14!  I had been in two really ugly relationships that produced my three kids.  I had taken a break from men, when Mark and I crossed paths again, at our kid's football game.  We went to high school together way back in the 70's and recognized each other immediately.  From first date on we were together, getting married 6 months later on April fools day.   It took us a few years to iron out all our issues, Mark had a drinking problem,  I gave that up years before, he was brought up in a good home with values, so for him it was pretty easy to give up his vices.  He had a base to pull from. It's never been an issue again.   I think when you're ready you do it, you move on, grow up and re-discover your goals.  Life can be difficult, but only if you let it get the best of you.  Over the years we both lost one of our parents, his father suddenly, my mother through a year long battle with cancer. We struggled with our ex's, job losses, money,  kids, kids and more kids!  But through it all we re-discovered our Faith in God, & that got us through a lot.  We also discovered how much friendship, communicaiton, and commitment mean in a marriage.  Life is a journey, a wonderful one, sometimes you have to widen out your vision, look around, take a deep breath and enjoy.  Usually the simple things are the best things!  I am blessed to have you all in my life right now, I am grateful for this place. 

You all have a wonderful weekend!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry Rose. You both deserve a gold medal for making it with all those kids and everything that goes with them. So glad you have a happy marriage now. Paula

Anonymous said...

Rose,

I have to give you a lot of credit, darlin!  You have had your share of ups and downs but you still continue to have faith and be positive.  My kind of gal! :)

As far as the heat goes, I have to give you credit on that one too!  I am a wuss when it comes to heat.  I do NOT like to be hot!  I hate to sweat! lol  I do not like to be uncomfortable and heat makes me cranky and, well.. I just don't like it! lol
It's supposed to be 110 here today, and you can bet your sweet yellow buses *winks* that I am having my AC cranked for comfort! lol

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I like the heat too. You have really been through a lot, Rose, and it is good to hear how happy you are now :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this entry :) So many things, everything you said, I understand and agree with what you said about giving up things when your ready...that is life huh!  That is a really good pic up there!!!!
Hugs
Angie
http://journals.aol.com/canyonsun04/TheLifeChaosofMotherhood/

Anonymous said...

Rose, there is no one who is more real and wise than YOU.   I am going to meet you someday and love you even more. I am so grateful i have met you thru AOL.  You are a teacher even if you dont know it....i look to your J for answers sometimes because i know you have been there and have made it thru.
Enjoy your weekend.
LOVE!
lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Lady!  Looking forward to meeting you! :-)

Adrian

 

Anonymous said...

Yes, ma'am!  God DOES make the difference!!!!! :-)  GBU!!!

Adrian

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being one of the editors picks this week! It's well deserved!

I forgot we share the same wedding anniversary. I think it must be a good luck day to get married. I'm glad you are living happily ever after too!

Have a great weekend!

Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being chosen a Pick of the Week.  From the reading I have done in this short visit I think it was more then earned.  Your journal is wonderful.  Pennie

http:/journals.aol.com/blondepennierae/APenniesWorth/

Anonymous said...

I grew up in southern Indiana and I still can't handle the heat. If I don't have a way to cool off then I'm sick all day. At least you don't have my electric bill. LOL.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

Very good entry, thank you for sharing. 7 kids, wow your a rock. Way 2 go.

Brenda

Anonymous said...

What a great love story !  Bless you both
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I love the way you share your life with us.I do hope you have a cooler week ahead. It is 100 degrees at 8 pm and it has been so hot,I hate the hot weather.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you, Rose.  I found your journal thru Michal's picks.  I've enjoyed reading your entries and I can relate to the busy grandsons!  I have two myself.  Nate will be 5 in Aug. and Andrew is 20 months.  They have an older sister, Megan (7).  I love spending time with them and boy can they wear me out!
I'll look forward to hearing about the new baby's arrival very soon.
Kathy  

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I really needed to hear this right now. I am a saved and single mother of 4 and I've become really close with a saved man as well who has a few of his own. You know...life happens before we accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. And then after we accept Him, the mess that we created on our own beforehand... He fixes. This blog that you shared is an inspiration. It's a testimony to me that "Everything is going to be all right."  It lets me know somebody just like me made it through. God bless you and yours now and forever more.
Tonya

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration this entry is.  I hope that I remembered to add you to my journal when I went private.  If you can't get in let me know.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh, congrats on the Editor's Choice!  You deserve it so much!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I see congratulations are in order hon. I am so sorry to have gotten so far behind in reading journals. I see, by this one, I missed a lot of good stuff. You are in inspiration to many, hon, including me.
Congrats again. You deserve it.
Much love,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK