Monday, October 16, 2006

A moment of utter terror

Have you ever had one of those moments with your kids, where you are in utter terror because you don't know where they are???

My 17 year old daughter walks the 1 mile to school every single day. Today I got a call from school saying she had been marked absent for 3 blocks.  The message was at 11:45 and I wasn't able to get to it until 12:45 after my bus routes.  I had last talked to Liz at 6:30 am.  She was in fact at school, she was selling tickets for a play, her first hour teacher didn't change the computer from absent to present after she came in late with a pass.  She helps in the DEANS office 2nd block & they too marked her absent.  Then third block she went late to class again because a student didn't show up to help with the ticket sales, she had pass that time too.  Finally they called me, I freaked out!  My child never, ever is absent let alone skips school.  I called the school back and demanded to know where she was, they said she is marked absent for three blocks, so that means she's not at school, so I said then something bad happened to her on the way to school because she is not at home.  Fortunately I work right behind the high school and was able to go directly there and told them to search for her.  By this time I was freaking out.   It was passing period but thank God the Dean located her in gym class and I saw my precious daughter face to face and got to hug her tight.  I am so relieved but very upset at the school for such irresponsible behavior.  My kid is fine, but me, I am not so sure how fine I will be for a while.  God is an awesome God, but His people I am not so sure.  I feel like the acts of the few punish the good.  The school was so ready to tell me my always responsible child had skipped school....period.  She wasn't there and they were in the clear.  The are so lucky they have a sympathetic security person, because my first call was going to be to the police. 

It's times like this that life puts things back into prespective.  It reminds you of what's important.  Not things but people, family...especially family.

My son Eric actually called me last night and we had a nice talk.  My stepson Dale is in trouble again, and hopefully he will finally take us up on the offer to come live here and we will guide him back to school and a sober life.  Who knows, one day at a time...it'll work out.

Love you guys and thanks for listening I can breath again!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose,I know how you felt,wow I would be upset too. I have had it happen to me.
It's so nice your son Eric called. I do pray that Dale will stay out of trouble ,how old is he?
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

"Everything is going to be all right" now but I'm sure you didn't feel that way for a while. Don't blame you for being angry at the school. Hope things shape up with the sons. Sometime it takes time. Paula

Anonymous said...

i feel your terror over here.......i hope this NEVER happens again and it is WRONG that it happened today. The high schools need to get their stuff together. There is no security at my kids HS. Scares me to death. Sorry to hear about your stepson.
LOVE YOU
lisa

Anonymous said...

OH.BLESS YOUR POOR HEART!!! I KNOW HOW TERRIFIED YOU HAD TO HAVE BEEN.MY GOD.I WOULD HAVE BEEN PANICING TOO......I AM SO GLAD IT TURNED OUT TO BE A MISTAKE EVEN THOUGH IT SCARED YOU TO DEATH,....PRAISE GOD THAT SHE WAS THERE AND OK...TOO MUCH EVIL GOING ON IN THE WORLD TODAY....
LOVE YA,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

I would have freaked out too. I'm so glad everything worked out , but that was just crazy. You'd think the school would have a better system than that.
Hugs, r.C.

Anonymous said...

How scary - I am glad it turned out ok!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

OMG ! What a scare. I've had similar things happen...once my son didnt get off the bus ! The school put him on the wrong bus , he was FIVE ! The fear you feel in undescribable.
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I would have reacted the same way! This world we live in is not safe anymore!  I hope the school learns from this and is more carefull the next time. Im so sorry you had such a fright!

Big Hugs!!!!
Kara

Anonymous said...

Praise God she was safe and OK.  With all the news of young girls gone missing, I don't blame you for how you felt.  I would have been scared to death, too.  Hug her a few more times for good measure.  : )
A hug for you!   Kathy

Anonymous said...

OH, talk about panic, I'm with you there. I'm sure glad she is okay and SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs
Ang