Friday, December 8, 2006

Newton close the door!

Winter is once again early this year!  I hate winter...don't get me wrong, I love the snow covered trees, the icicles, the flickering colored lights all a-glow...for about a week!  Then the cold and the blowing and the snotty noses, and slippery streets can go away!

It's been cold here, darn cold....1 degree and some days with the wind below zero cold.  The only good thing is our buses are started for us in the morning and all I have to do is flip my heaters on and ahhhhhhhh heat. 

Other issues with cold??  My gas bill...I have had my heat on since October, I never like to turn my heat on until at least December.  We have done some insulation in some of the breezy areas of our 150 year old house which should help this year.  In my kitchen I have a door if you don't close it tight my cat Newton will push it open and go out into the breezeway.  He likes to drink the dog's water and in the summer he likes to think I don't see him sitting behind my ficcus.  This room is always cold in the winter and is not well insulated, to put it mildly it's frigid out there, plus one of doors in only a screen door.  So the other night I hear my old boiler working hard, the poor thing is making loud noises, I think it's the neighbors and ignore it.  Until Mark goes downstairs and sees the back door wide open...$$$ out the door!   I guess I could teach the dog to shut the door!  Or at least send one of the other cats to tell on Newton!

Last weekend my dryer went out.  This dryer was given to me by a girl I used to work with 3 years ago...the dryer was on it last leg then, I guess three years with a old dryer is pretty good.  It's been so dry in my house with the freezing temperatures I just use plenty of fabric softener and I use my clothes to humidify my house!  Even jeans are dry by morning.  Works until I can get a new dryer...I see a trip to Menards in my future.  I refuse to get a dryer for Christmas!  Since my hinting for best buy gift cards may come true, I will not trade my wish for a camera for a stupid dryer!

Add the fact that the kids were all wild this week on the bus.  No recess makes for a whole lot goofing around.  Especially with the added mess of gloves, snow pants, scarves, mittens, etc.  And the bad drivers seemed to all be out when I was trying to get my midday preschoolers to school.  I think most of the stop signs were out of order in their neighborhoods.  Oh yeah a girl at work backed into my car door, lucky for me I honked my horn and she did no damage....but that was during the full moon, so that explains that.

Today, my husband spent the day in bed with the flu.  Not the cold flu, the run to the bathroom, moaning "I am dying" flu.  I saw a vision of my future with this man and I hope to God it doesn't involve adult diapers!  Thankfully he has slept most of the day, hidden away in the bedroom.

Tracey called and I think she has cabin fever.  She was telling me about her mom watching the kids tonight but she wanted to go Christmas shopping tomorrow.  She didn't think her mom would want to keep the kids both days.  I told her to please bring them to me!  I'll lock the hubby in the bedroom and we can play in the snow.  It's supposed to warm up to a tropical 40 tomorrow, prefect for rolling around in the dirty week old snow piles.  Dakota has decided I am to be called ga'ma whoa-se.  He's so funny he told on Jacob who 'scared' him.  He'll be 2 on the 19th.

Dayton now weighs in at 19 pounds!  He will be 5 months on the 20th.  What in the hell are they putting the Simalac these days!  My oldest was a fatso, he was breastfed and was a big boy, but wow 19 pounds at 5 months!

I saw this picture of Uncle Jim ( the son who is now living with us) and Dayton and thought he was Dakota at first!

Enough out of me...between the cold air cooling off my hot flashes I should be fine this lovely evening!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 degree! My blood would freeze. Yep those adult diapers wouldn't be any fun at all. It is sooo good that they start the buses up for you drivers. Paula

Anonymous said...

Rose,it sounds like a day I'd like to forget if I were you. It is freezing and even if the snow looks beautiful,I'll say thank you but I'll stay in Ca. Hon,I hope things go better for you this weekend. Al and I have THAT flu,yuk!
Gently
Mickie

Anonymous said...

i really wish we could have some cold days here in AZ. The weather is great! Nic, but not even cool!!!  Man you need an automatic door closer.

Kara

Anonymous said...

Bbrrrrr.... I sure hope you stay warm !
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hee! I love your sense of humor, Rose!  Especially your vision of the future with a DH wearing adult diapers :) Hope he is feeling better now.  I'm not a big fan of the cold either, kinda nuts for someone who lives in Minnesota.  I can stand it as long as the wind isn't blowing. But with the wind - forget it!

Anonymous said...

Keep Mark in the bed and do not get in the bed, get far away from him. LOL  I hope you arent sick.....i know it will make you happy to have those grandbabies around you. Dayton is huge but so cute!! I hate the snow and the COLD. The cold is what upsets me. I hope both you and i soon feel happier. I love you forever.
lj

Anonymous said...

I have sometimes wondered if we all open our doors in the winter - will it warm up outside?

xoxo