Thursday, August 2, 2007

 

 

 

Liz's biological father came into town this past weekend.  Just like he promised the judge and me, he brought the check for his part of her freshman year at the Junior College.  He works for a major airline so he and family members can fly anywhere the airline goes for standby/for free.   This was why I never pressed him for more child support I feared he'd cry to the judge about his "rights" and want me to send her to him because she is also able to fly for free.  I just couldn't see putting a 6 year old on a plane, and have him not be at the airport, he had proved how undependable he was in the past.

Her last visit with him was when she was 6.  I finally let him take her alone, before he only had supervised visits per my choice.  During support hearings the judge gave him very limited visitation, he only argued the amount of support, because he had so many other children.  To this the judge replied, "you make them, you pay for them, get another job"  After the day long visit  he brought her back and she promptly threw up and had a major asthma attack.  Then he disappeared for 6 months only to call me to tell me he was moving.

So as fate would have it Liz and her boyfriend Mike drove out to T's sister's house on Sunday.  The family was there, aunts, uncle, cousins...and the all smoked....well, not the 5 year old, but give her time.

And to top off the smoke feast they all bitched about how the state of Illinois has passed a law banning smoking in public spaces.  hmmmmmmm   how some things never change.

But Liz did say she got to see her half sister (the peacemaker who always tries to keep intouch with all the kids/ex-wives/ex-girlfriends).  She did get her GED and is going to nursing school. 

Liz is still in some sort of "I am giving the guy a chance" mode...that's up to her.  She is my daughter and no one can change that. 

She did get her college check, and some coupons to fly.  I told her she should go see grandpa in St Pete.....

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad she got her college money. You can never tell about these dead beat dads. Good luck to her, paula

Anonymous said...

Rose, Liz seems like such a sweet girl, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Sucks when we WANT to say something and hold our tongue to not make waves since they are 18 and need to figure it out themselves!
Liz is beautiful.
LOVE,lisa

Anonymous said...

Liz sounds like she has her life together.  I am glad though things are going ok.  Of the three kids I had only one elected to go to college.  My son and youngest daughter both opted to live with me for a while.  Now they are both out on their own.   john

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful daughter Rose!!  I am so glad he brought a check at least!!  I know I should pressure my ex for more money.  These days $350 a month is a spit in the bucket for child support.  it doesn't go very far.  Barely pays for the food for a child in a month's time.  If that.   Aren't ex husbands just nightmares?  I totally understand about the flying thing.  I used to make my ex buy a ticket for himself and one for my little Nicky when he was little.  I figured if he had to pay for two tickets he would at least be there.  I love your red beautiful walls.  Just gorgeous!  Hugs,
Lisa