Friday, August 24, 2007

water, water everywhere....

We had major flooding in my part of the world this past week.   Chicago proper and the northern suburbs had many old trees down and loss of electric power.  Some of these trees are very old and landed on cars and people's homes.  I feel so blessed that our large trees did not come down.

As for us we only had a little water in our old basement.  Our basement is limestone filled with mortar...at the height of the storm last night a big stream of water squirted in through the limestone.  It looked like someone stuck a hose in the wall and turned on the water.  Luckily it landed in the old water softener and only lasted a few minutes before it stopped.  We do not use our basement for anything of value so fortunately nothing was lost.

Today during my dry run for my new route, which is in my own neighborhood, I watched people walking around the river that is about two blocks from my home.  It is the Fox river and the park I take the boys to is underwater.  

This evening I took a walk to the library and took this picture of the pathway to the park.

On the right side of the picture is a creek that runs into the river.  Tomorrow I will go take some day time shots.  This pathway leads to the park.

It was too dark to take pictures of the park that was totally under water.  The Fox River is still rising so it will be a while before the park will be usable again. 

I have been very busy this week with trips.  Yesterday one of the two storms that came through hit just as I was getting ready to pick up my girls tennis trip.  It was canceled of course, but I was still paid for three hours. 

As I said we bid on our trips and I am pleased with the one I got.  The grade school kids are my own neighborhood so they shall be easy to deal with.  Kids usually don't like to misbehave when they know their neighbor is taking them to school.

Tomorrow I head toward the city (Chicago) with the freshman football team.  I know it will be a muddy messy affair and I will not be taking my own bus as it is down for repairs.  It sat all summer and the safety gate in the front of the bus has stopped working.  It's in the morning so I will have the rest of the weekend to relax.  School starts Wednesday and I am very ready for a routine.  Hope this rain stops soon so my son and husband can go back to their routine!

I hear the 10 year drought in Texas is over!!  anybody want me to send some water your way???!!!

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose, you live in Chicago ?????? That is where Billy Petersen is from, OMG , if you ever see him around town give him a big kiss for me, lol.Hugs Lisa XO

Anonymous said...

We're still having rains here off and on. Not flooding. It is so odd we have not had to water our lawn one time this summer. That is rare. I am so glad you and your's are okay. I finally remember where my daughter lived. It was Wheaton. When I went to visit I was amazed at the basements and the yards didn't have fences. lol So different from south texas. I rode the train to Joliet and she picked me up and then I flew there one time to that biiiig airport. Boy! Did this country girl go to town. lol Paula

Anonymous said...

Neat photo. Hope things will dry up soon. Weather has gone wacky everywhere! Happy back to the routine next week, enjoy the weekend :-)

Anonymous said...

Building my own ark here. I am not taking any mosquitoes on board. Sorry your park is flooded!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a LOT of water!!  Glad you didn't get to much in your basement.  It would be a source of frustration that is for sure!!!!  School starting on Wed!?  Hope you have an awesome year!!  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thats a lot of water! Really glad you didn't lose anything in the basement.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

we had no flooding in my city....i am sorry you did. Glad that only a bit of flooding in your basement......our basement floods all the time when it rains heavy. Hope you enjoyed Chicago!
i love you,
lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rose,  Pack up some of that rain water and send it to Southern California  We are as dry as an old bone.  We could use about 15" of rain spead out over a few months.  Our hills never greened up this year.  I'm glad your home is OK.  Be safe out there on those roads!
Hugs, Kathy