Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Rosie the repairman

 

After the plumping mess we had over the Christmas holiday we had a huge water bill.  The village bills for both water usage and sewer.  Since what goes in must come out our bill was high on both ends (ha).  When trying to unclog the clog my husband ran the water out of ever faucet he could...hence the high water bill.

Shortly after this our never in 12 years used by us water softener which is still hooked up via the plumbing but not plugged in sprang a leak.  It was a big leak too coming out a hose.  Being the impulsive type I simply cut the hose off thinking it was just the left over water in the tank leaking.  NO of course not it was water right from the system.  Our stupid solution was to stick the hose down the drain and wait until we could figure out the problem....then I just pinched the hose hoping this would stop the leak, no it just dripped some place else.  My basement is old, limestone & is always damp in the summer.  later, my being too cheap to call a plumber made things worse.... our water bill continued to climb.  Now my village is very much into water conservation...there's water bans, water restrictions and that sort of thing.  Do you think said village could give us a notice on how high the water usage was??  nope, BUT after freaking out, I took action.  I looked at the mess of pipes in my basement and figured out how to by pass the old relic of a softener...deed done no more drips! 

Now I needed my husband to figure out these problems....well he did do the plumbing I supervised...

~emission light on car came on....eeeeeeeee ...  the car is due to go to the emission lanes and last time this happened to our truck (check engine light) itcost $600 to fix!

solution?  hubby tightened gas cap.new driver daughter had gotten gas and didn't tighten cap....fixed

Same for the sun roof, a piece of plastic broke off...hubby fixed it again....

I wonder if there is a business for this type of simple problem solving??

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose, hope you get your plumbing problems fixed soon, thanks for being such a great friend to me, Love Ya Lisa XO

Anonymous said...

Yep I think you could supervise a group of men. I may have told you this before but John puts a piece of tape over the check engine light and he doesn't have a bit of trouble. lol If it was my truck something terrible would happen. Paula

Anonymous said...

Hey, when you are done with all your house/auto problems, I could use you around here! LOL
June

Anonymous said...

thank God for a man who thinks on his feet and is handy...and willing. My husband thinks on his feet and is handy but is the laziest soul ever born if he aint clocked in!
Love,lisa

I am glad your water leak is gone!

Anonymous said...

Rose if it wasnt for bad luck I wouldnt have luck at all.  I took my truck to autozone and they didnt charge me to tell me what was causing the check engine light.  I just needed a new gas cap.   john

Anonymous said...

Very good problem solving here!!  I think re-routing the plumbing was brilliant!!!  Can't leak if not using or going into the water softener at all, right?  I am exhausted all ready.  Only did one thing on my list: mopping.  Hugs,
Lisa