Monday, July 11, 2005

our summer home....away from home

                           

I am home!

A few years back we joined a club called the Newark sportsmen club.  Newark is wee little town that time forget...sort like the way my town used to be.  We love to camp so we heard about this place and feel in love with it's just plain simple way of doing things.  It's not a resort or a campground, but they don't care if you park your camper, or tent for a small fee you can even leave your trailer there all year.  It's cheap, and if you don't mind an occasional shot gun blast (or in the case of Friday night trap shoots) many gun shot blasts it's a wonderful place to get away from the 'city' life.  It even has  a small spring fed stocked pond that you can swim/fish in.  The only downfall of this lovely place is no showers or flush toliets, only a rather smelly outhouse.

We have an old Prowler that we came to own (got it from the stepson, who got it from Mark's ex when they were doing their own camping thing).  It's seen better days but hey it's paid for, dry, has a place to sleep and cook, and just plain hang out during the weekends.   There is no dump station at the club so we just used the outhouse and brought jugs of water to cook and do dishes.  UNTIL NOW!

~OUR CLUB NOW HAS A SHOWER HOUSE!!~ including hot water, and for the low price of 2 quarters you can take a 10 minute shower!!  AND they now have a flush toliet!! Hee haw folks I now have what the rich folks call a summer weekend home!!!  I feel so so you know spoiled!

AND this weekend having a hot shower came in handy with our leaking water heater and all.  We had a fine evening Saturday night BBQing and walking up Sunday morning to eggs and bacon. There is nothing like sleeping in a camper out in the country!  With all the wild life, no traffic and very little people.

On Sunday, Jeremy asked us to watch the boys....as he and Tracey went to Chicago to my close to being married stepson's bridal party outing....which was in place of an 'Stag' party, as my future daughter in law will not allow him to have one.  So the whole bridal party went into Chicago for the game. 

I had my fill of grandbaby heaven!  And it was a long day...beginning at 10 am until nearly 8.  The boys were great, we swam for awhile, sat inside the air conditioning because the weather here in Illinois has been extra hot and dry.  This grandma had a rough time figuring out the way pampers are made now...I mean how much can one of those things hold before they fill up???  I found that out, as I didn't change Jacobs diaper fast enough and he peed down his leg!  Jacob woke a bit crabby from a nap, but a walk and a round of baby golf solved that.  Dakota of course was his charming cute self...he's 6 months now and can sit very well, and goes crazy clapping his hands and laughing....I am so in love!!!  :::sigh::::

After a quick shower at the club we headed home to see my traveling daughter.  She had a great time and learned so much.  She enjoyed the lessons and grew spiritually...I am so proud of that kid! 

After work today, she and I are riding up to DeKalb Menards to get a hot water heater!  And rain is predicted tonight.  Northern Illinois is now 8 inches below normal, we have water ban and brown lawns all over town.  It's time for this girl to do a rain dance! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are having a great time!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Rose, your vacation home sounds divine and so much fun! I'm jealous. I am so glad you all had such a good time. Love lisa

Anonymous said...

I saw the weather this morning . It's looking like you may just get that rain. We're way behind in the rain department also, we're suppose to get some later today.
Have a great day.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

glad you got your indoor plumbing now. I remember the old kind. I took my first train ride to Ill. a few years ago. My daughter lived in Wheaton, but I got off in Joliette. Not sure if that is spelled correct. Paula

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time .It's great that you now have a shower and flush Toilets.Grandkids are so wonderful and when their Mom's come to get them it is just about time. So happy you enjoyed your vacation.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

It sounds so wonderful, like a place my family would adore!  I want a camper so badly!