Thursday, February 16, 2006

family

My mother died in April of 1999.  She was the glue that held my family together.  I have three younger brothers.  She had four children in five years and started having babies at the age of 17, which is the same age as my daughter.  So much for a young girl to handle.  Sure she had my father, but back in those days, the woman did all the work.

No matter what we all knew we had our mother to turn to when this world got to crazy.  She was a rock.  A housewife who's only job ever was to be our mother.  As I grew up and became a mother myself I began to see my mother differently.  At the time I used to see her as a weak person, she was very high strung, smoked too much and drank too much wine every single night.  But her personality never, ever changed, she was always the same loving woman.  always.  Even after she quit all her vices and still five years later developed lung cancer. She was strong, and never complained.  After her death we no longer had her to keep us connected.  We all got caught up in life.

So today when my brother and his family had the funeral for little Tyson, I was happy to see all of my family together.  Ever since my mother's death we have gone on with our lives, dealing with the daily business of raising families, working and paying the bills.

It took a sad event to bring us back together again.  Don't get me wrong, I see my brothers here and there, Matt's wedding, 2 of the came, Tim's graduation, 1 of them came.  But it's not the same as all of us being together.

It was a glorious reunion.  Time stood still and it felt like only yesterday that we had last seen each other.  My own children, all three of them came today also.  They saw that my brothers and I had been a part for so long.  They vowed to never let life get in the way of spending time together.  I hope they keep that promise.

When the world gets rough, family is the one thing I have always known I could count on.  And after today I am going to be around more, make more time, be less consumed by my own little world.  Get reaquinted with my nieces and nephews, my brothers, my family.

The funeral was sad, my brother's friends from high school were there.  It's as if when bad things happen, the troops come in and hold us up.  It was wonderful.  His church had a luncheon afterward, you know the type with fruit salad, potatoe salad, hot beef and yellow cake.  Made things easier, safer, a place to talk and reflect, plan our future.  We said goodbye to little Tyson, who always will be in our hearts.  Right now there's a little boy named Rylan who is getting stronger, healthier who will be welcomed with open arms to his wonderful now more grateful family.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it so well Rose. I hope little Tyson gets stronger fast and I'm sure he will with all that love in your family. Paula

Anonymous said...

Family is everything, but too few realize it till a crisis arises. I'm so glad to hear about the family reunion. Our's in August of last year reconnected our family.
THought of your brother and his wife today. Keeping them in prayers too.
Hugs,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/ITSNOTABOUTLOVE-BUTABOUTSURVIVAL

Anonymous said...

That was nicely said, Rose. Funerals do give us a change to reaffirm our family connections.

I am so sorry for your family's loss, but am glad you still have one new little one :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about your family getting together even though it was for a sad
occasion. Families can be wonderful and what a blessing your Mom was.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

You described my family. My mom passed away in 2000 from Lung Cancer, and nothing is the same since.
Sorry again for your loss....

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Rose, i got tears streaming down my face.......i am just bawling.
You are such a wise, giving, gentle soul. I thank God daily ( I MEAN THIS) for finding you online. This is just about the most beautiful entry i have ever read...its your heart speaking. I am so sorry you lost your mom so soon. In my beliefs, she  is holding Tyson right now. He is safe in her arms.
I am so glad you were able to see your whole family and that your children were able to experience that.
LOVELOVELOVE, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Awww rose, as I sit here with tears in my eyes, I feel for you and family it is always hard to lose a loved one in the family. But harder than its a child. My step brother in law lost his only one a few years ago from an illness and it was very hard to see the little casket... I lost my Dad 11 years ago to a heart attack outside my childhood home and its something very hard to except and understand. But I hope those hard times are the ones that bring families ur or back together, I can understand what you are sayin because my Grandma (moms mom) passed the family fell apart and went our separte ways to this is day it is still the same, and only marriage,funerals,speical parties bring the family together again. Although its not always the same. Well I need to go finish my laundry pick up my room am turning things around before everyone gets back home. I hope you get the chance to spend more time with your brothers,extended family and the new baby enjoy them while they are smaller because once they start to grow they want to be on their own lol. Have a great weekend, take care, love ya your friend Sara

Anonymous said...

Rose,
It made tears come to my eyes when you were talking about your brothers & how you have all drifted apart.  I hope that for now on things will be better for you.  I'm sure the funeral was very sad.  You lost a very precious guy there.  You & your family are in my thoughts.  I too went to my aunt's funeral this week.  I'm kind of amazed how many people here in J-land have lost someone close to them this week.  But it does seem to work that way, doesn't it?  Hang in there, & if you need anything, I'm here for ya, kiddo!
Love, Linda