Saturday, March 11, 2006

my kid, Eric

My son Eric is my middle child.  He's 21 and has all the traits (real or imagined) of the middle kid.  I always down played the whole middle kid thing.  When I remarried he was 10 and ended up being toward the young side of the age range.  When you marry a guy with 5 kids your kids do change.  I'd like to think all three of mine did, for the better. When my kids were little I was from the kinder, gentler school of thought, you know kids shouldn't be spanked, talk out our feelings, and all that stuff.  All that stuff is great, but there is a time and a place for discipline and thankfully I figured it out before I remarried and got 5 more kids.  I didn't spank, but I did make sure my children showed me respect and thankfully they have all pretty much grown up to be respectful hardworking members of society.

When Eric graduated High School in 2003 he decided he wanted to be a teacher and went to a University about 1/2 hour away.  Eric is a smart kid, but he never wanted the pressure of trying too hard in advance classes like his older brother Tim did.  He's the type that has always marched to his own tune.  His first year of college was horrible, he did nothing and flunked out.  The summer before this he had been working in the Menards warehouse, then at the store near the college after he started college.  After the whole college thing, he decided to go for his job at Menards with gusto.  He's now the Assistant Manager in the large hardware department.  I could not be more proud of him.

Over the course of the last two years Eric has shared housing with two different groups of guys.  All college kids who go to school full time.  Eric works A LOT.  He also has an income.  The first group partied too much flunked out of school and left the apartment trashed.   He paid a price for that mess.  The group he's with now are a bit more responsible.  Except for last week.  Seems one kid took some drugs went nuts, kicked a wall in, and slammed his fists into some parked cars.  All this while Eric is at work, the place he's been working at for 12 straight days.  The landlords were none too happy so they are being evicted.

Brings me to last evening.  Eric visits are not real regular, usually when his girlfriend is home on school break (she goes to the same school he want to) or if he's in town visiting his friends.  Eric tells us about the situation, of course my husband is "oh sure Eric you can move back here until next fall when you move in with your friends (these are guys he's grown up with).  Which I think is ok too.  We have the room and it would be nice to see my kid on a regular basis.  I am just glad he's grown up enough to stay out of trouble.  Very glad it wasn't my kid running around bashing in walls.  I know my children are NOT angels.  I know they drink, as a matter of fact 3 of my kids have some rather nice bars in their homes.  But for me I've been there done that.  They are young they have their own lives to live.  Choices to make.  I am glad though that they at least have the sense to come home and talk things out with mom.  Oh yeah his girlfriend is driving him nuts too.  That one is all on him!

Besides his experience at the store has him offering to help me build a pond this summer in the backyard.  And my old house need a bunch of updating...besides he gets a discount!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like he grew up to be such a sweet responsible young man.  I hope your relationship just grows and grows and grows closer with time.
Nelishia

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,
What a good Mom you are and you are proud of Eric for good reason. Al was not happy when all our kids didn't want to go to college,but they all have great jobs and my son makes lots of money, one daughter owns their business and the other
two have good jobs. It's sad that Eric's room mates messed up the home they shared with your son.  How neat that Rick is going to help you build a pond and great that he gets a discount!
Have a great weekend.
Love
Mickie

Anonymous said...

You have a very nice looking young man there. Hey the pond will be nice too. Paula

Anonymous said...

Kids that come with hook ups are a good thing, right?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

So he is moving home?! Cool!!! I know that you will enjoy having him there. i hope he doesnt have to pay for the friends mess. I truly think of you as one of the most intelligent and level headed moms anywhere Rose...so i know one big reason the kids are such great adults is because you are their mom!!
LOVE,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Its great you can have him move back home. He sounds like a mature person, you should be proud.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

It sounds like his mom raised him right. He'll do fine. He's lucky to have a mom like you.
Hugs, R.C.

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a good kid.  I think at his age we all learn quickly who our friends truelly are.  Keep us posted on how he is doing.  Big Hugs, Nicki