Monday, April 11, 2005

Beginning of the work week

~~~~Here's a joke that perfectly describes Chicago's weather vs the rest of the country~~

My Kind Of The Town

>How True!
>Seasonal Differences in the regions of the USA
>
>60 above - Floridians wear coats, gloves, and wooly hats.
>Chicago people sunbathe.
>
>50 above - New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
>Chicago people plant gardens.
>
>40 above - Italian cars won't start.
>Chicago people drive with the windows down.
>
>32 above - Distilled water freezes.
>Lake Michigan's water gets thicker.
>
>20 above - Californians shiver uncontrollably.
>Chicago people have the last cookout before it gets cold.
>
>15 above - New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
>Chicago people throw on a sweatshirt.
>
>0 degrees - Californians fly away to Mexico.
>Chicago people lick the flagpole and throw on a light jacket
>over the sweatshirt
>
>20 below - People in Miami cease to exist.
>Chicago people get out their winter coats.
>
>40 below - Hollywood disintegrates.
>Chicago's Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.
>
>50 below - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
>Chicago people get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.
>
>60 below - Microbial life survives on dairy products.
>Illinois cows complain of farmers with cold hands.
>
>460 below - ALL atomic motion stops.
>Chicago people start saying. ."Cold 'nuff for ya??"
>
>500 below - Hell freezes over.
>The Chicago Cubs win the World Series
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it's the beginning of the week and so far so good.  Yesterday we did go to Jeremy's house, but my daughter-in-law had taken the boys to visit her father.  He's in a nursing home so that's good she went to visit him.  Matt was there so Mark got to spend some quality time with his boys.  It so weird how fast your kids grow up. It seems we all can't wait for our children to reach their milestones.  Like sleeping through the night, sitting up, walking, talking, and going to school.  It seems we wish their lives away. Before you know it they're going to school , crossing the street by themselves, riding a bike, going on dates, drivng.  And soon graduating.  Then they go and move out.  When my boys went to college I thought they would be back for awhile, but Eric got an apartment 30 minutes away and soon Tim will be graduated from college and he hopes to get an apartment too.  I have mixed emotions.  While I am happy for them and myself because there is less for me to do for them and I do have more freedom.  I am sad because they grow up so quickly.  Being that Mark and I are married 10 years and on our seconds we had little alone time in the beginning, when most folks are courting, getting to know each other and such.  We had the joy and pain (sometimes) of trying to raise 5 sometimes 7 kids all at once.  I think we did a great job.  All the kids are pretty much self sufficent, law abiding, contributing members of society.  And coming from a family of divorce I think they did pretty darn well.  Considering Mark and I both have parents that never divorced. I contribute a lot to Mark and I actually paying attention to them, disciplining them, prayers (LOTS) and just plan old loving them unconditionally.  My sadness is tempered by my joy of seeing them as adults going out in this world and making something of themselves.  Coming home to visit their dear old mom and dad.  And then some day bringing us their little ones...for me to spoil and love!!!  Plus I finally get my hubby ALL TO MYSELF!!!

So all you out there with little ones enjoy every single day, every milestone, every moment...your babies will always be your babies, but they do grow up in a heartbeat....so love them while you can.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicago weather is crazy!  Hopefully there is no more snow in the forecast!  But you never know around here!  
Tammy :)

Anonymous said...

lol!! Laughing over that chicago joke.. :)

Robyn :)

Anonymous said...

That Chicago joke is funny.  *Our kids milestones come too quickly. It's hard for me to believe all mine are grown now, with children of their own. Johnny and I were like you and Mark when we got married, except I was the one with kids. But we were never alone until the past couple of years. There was always somebody needing help. So when we got alone it felt like we'd just gotten married. WAHOO, as all of J- land says. take care. I'm going back to bed. Been sick for the past few days. I'm trying to do journals in -between resting. The numbers get so high I often have to delete and just start over. So if you ever notice you had an entry with no comment from me..that's what happened. Sometimes I have 400 and try to get to them all. I hit and miss and hope. LOL  Hugs, hon. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

Loved the joke.  Just remember there will always be other experiences.  They get married and have grandbabies.  And at least they didnt move so far away from you that you cant see them.  Past is beautiful and the present and future will be too.  Keep your head.
Nicki

Anonymous said...

Rose, i love this entry. Meg is 16 and Chad is 13. I am 36, Rick is 43. We see life speeding by us right now as we are living it. We already sit and watch the babies of the young couples and reminince. I have learned to savor every smile from Meg and Chad and every conversation means everything to me. Life is just a blur sometimes and inbetween all the regular day to day living we all need to sit and be thankful for the special moments. love, lisa

Anonymous said...

Rose youre so sweet! Great entry :)

Kara

Anonymous said...

I know your right about that. My kids are all growen up and my son has kids of his own. It seems like the granddaughters are growing even faster than my kids did.
Have a great week.
Hugs, R.C.
P.S. Cute joke thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I think we have the same weather here in MN as you do there.....;)

Anonymous said...

I have seen the same joke for Michigan.
Kids sure do grow up fast.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Coming from Chicago I understand! My oldest boys (twins) are about 1 year away from the age when I first started my family! Wow!