Thursday, July 29, 2004

Here's my flag for dear old Illinois.  Last night I took a nice long walk in my neighborhood and everytime I do this I realize what a great little town I live in.  My town used to be a little farm community when I moved here in 1972 as a young girl.  I've watched my little town grow from a little hick town  where everybody knew each other to a big hick town, where everybody tries to know everybody, but ususally doesn't.  Or maybe it's because I live in the old part of town now (been her for 10 years) that I still know all the old timers.  My local gas station still take checks, our business has a fuel account there on a hand check and our word.  The local mentally handicap guy stocks pop, everybody knows Micky and I can go down to the post office and see at least 3 people that I know.  I can venture out  of downtown a mile and shop at the large chain stores or get a meal at one of the top ten more popular restaurants.  Fact is though, my favorite health food store is going out of business, and the local drug store is now a bike shop, owner got old and had a too good of an offer from the new Walgreens.  I guess I have the best of the old and new...I guess I have my cake and can eat it too.  Mark  and I attended the high school here back in the 70's he's 2 years older, but we  know the same people, we have history.  I think that is one of the reasons we clicked so quickly.  We were brought up in a time where family values meant sticking together no matter what.  I am glad of that, times can get difficult, especially for someone like me who tends to think too much, worry too much...but I am getting better, God has worked His magic on me.  I feel like I did when I was younger, more confident, more free, prayer and trusting God to take care of my life is truly freeing.  Faith is an awesome thing...I am glad I had to go through what I did to get here...I have meet so many great people along the way...and I am still growing!  Anyway, I love my life right now, I love where I live right now and I am satisfied to be me right now...growth happens everyday, but today I am content to trust God that I am right where I need to be today...Love you all.  Get out and smell the flowers...my ziennas are BEAUTIFUL! ++++my front yard is awesome!  The weather here in Illinois has been perfect for perennials and mine are filling so awesome.  I am filled with pride when I can peek out my window and see people admiring my "babies".  Gotta get a camera & share my joy.  love rose

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woooooooo Hoooooooo

Let's party

Danielle

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's nice reading about your state. Wanted to write a little about Oregon but my computer is making it difficult. Still working on it. Trying to do journals in-beteen before it messes up again.  Enjoy the day. Sounds like a great one. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

yay! you got the flag up!  enjoy those flowers........we should all take time to "stop and smell the roses" ;-)  
jerseygirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

That's great living in a community like that....very lucky!

Anonymous said...

Yes I can see that towns do change.  The little town I grew up in though has declined in population.  So everyone still knows everyones business.  Probaly the reason I didnt move back to there,   john