Saturday, September 11, 2004

September 11

Twin Towers Heroes

 

Like must people I remember exactly what and where I was on September 11.  I finished my paper route, and on that day (it was a Tuesday), I had 2000 more free papers to throw (paper boy phrase).  I wasn't looking forward to it...it was hard work and at that time my sleep was so crazy and off.  I decided to take a quick nap on the couch, I always left the TV on.  Hubby called and told me to turn on the TV because there had been a plane crash.  I saw the helicopter circling the towers and saw the gapping hole in the building.  My first thought was what the heck happened that pilot that he got so lost??  I thought the plane was like a little plane, never occurred to me to be a jet.  Then I thought how are the firemen going to get their hoses that high to put the fire out.  When the second one hit I was in shock....then the rest ... it was too much for me to understand.  And when the 1st tower fell all I could think of ... one is going to fall no fireman don't go back the other too.  My daughter called me from school she had forgotten something so I asked her if she knew what was happening and of course she said "huh what?".  I said never mind....took her the item.  Then I called my boy at college and told him to be careful..college kids can be stupid at these times.  After some kids there burned couchs and dumpster after a basketball game, I was afraid of what this would cause them to do.  His college has a wide variety of backgrounds, and some kids can be so judgmental.  I just didn't want my kid to get in anybody's crossfire, or if he was going to stick up for somebody to be careful.  It reminded me of the school shootings.  I also told my kids don't be heros.  Just be careful.

After that the powers that be at the paper decided that they needed to put out a special "wrap around" for the daily paper.  So I got to see the news first and it still didn't sink in.  I took the papers to a couple of gas stations and one of the owners was of Eastern decent.  Nice people...I told hem I hoped people were kind to them...as you know how some people can be so judgemental in times like this...

After that I remember the TV was straight 9-1-1 news ALL day ALL night.  You could not escape it.  I cried many tears for these poor people, for our country.  Living in the Midwest though I felt so far away from the actual event.  I knew no one that died, I didn't even know anyone that was directly effected.  But as an American I was effected.  Our country suffered a great wake up call.  I still do not see anything different today.  People still treat each other badly, they still don't think this can happen to them.  They still don't realize how much we are hated for being who we are.  There are days I still act like a stupid human being and just go through the motions of life.  I think as humans we are wired that way...to be self centered and self serving.  But in a crisis most of us jump to the call and help each other.  Maybe that is how we are wired.  I don't know, I'd like to think that I am different because of 9-1-1, I know I value my family more.  I realize how fragile life is and in a blink it's gone.  This thing that happened makes your realize how fleeting life is.  How in a instant everything can change.    When it's your time to go to God, it's your time.  Let's try to be a little nicer to others, for me I need to be a little nicer to me.  And give myself a break, then I can share myself with others and make things a little easier for the people around me.  Make this a great weekend. 

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw the first plane hit...i hadthe same exact thoughts as you, how would they get fire hoses up? How could the pilot not see the freakin' twin towers? But then the second plane hit. isaw it and i knew

Anonymous said...

Nice entry Rose. Love you. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

I think we can all remember where we were that day with such clarity.......others tell the story of where they were when Kennedy got shot......this is one of those things that stay with us always........nice entry Rose.......and perfect graphic you chose (as always)
~jerseygirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl  

Anonymous said...

I found out shortly after it happened and was so shocked and scared...as the day went on the enormity of it all was getting the best of me...I lived in NJ at the time and when on the highway we could see the smoke in the sky from the towers..it was just awful...

Anonymous said...

very moving entry